The Dragons Rise

For three days, Queen Rhaenyra had gathered all of the subjects who had served her half-brother, making them kneel and pledge their loyalty to her. Many of them kneeled and many of them were executed.

Ser Richard had entered the hall, a man being dragged behind him.

The biggest traitor of them all, Otto Hightower.

"Found this one lurking in the dungeons where Balerion's skull rests," Richard informed Rhaenyra, who lifted her chin at them.

"And what business would you be tending to down there, Ser Otto?" Rhaenyra asked him and Otto looked up at her.

"Business that does not concern you," Otto replied, and the Queen gestured for her guard to put him aside. The Lord would be sentenced to death. Another person came by to bend the knee to the Queen, in chains and tired-looking.

The Dowager Queen would bend the knee to Rhaenyra, but not without a few words for her step-daughter and former best friend, "The city is yours, Princess. But you will not hold it for long. The rats play when the cat is gone, but my son Aemond will return with fire and blood."

The threat did not faze Rhaenyra but rather made her laugh, "These great swords shall gather dust before that ever happens." She gestured to the throne of swords beneath her which made Alicent look away.

Despite Daemon arguing that the Dowager Queen should be put to the sword, Alicent was kept alive.

While the Queen dealt with her subjects, the castle was searched from top to bottom in search of the little children of the usurper. Unbeknownst to them, Maelor had fled with Ser Rickard Thorne of the Kingsguard and Jaehaera had fled with Ser Willas Fell to Storm's End.

That night, the time came for Otto Hightower to be executed for treason. His head was placed on the stone as the executioner came to finish the job. Rhaenyra stood there as Otto looked up at some of the subjects who had yielded.

"You all swore an oath to your true King!" Otto muttered to them, and Rhaenyra feigned a frown.

"Stale oaths won't get Aegon to sit the throne," Rhaenyra reminded him, and Otto closed his eyes as the sword was brought down. They took his body away, placing his head on a spike. A gesture that Rhaenyra hoped would show others the cost of treason.

Rhaenyra sat upon the throne watching as more kneeled and pledged their loyalty to her once again. A few of her Queensguard opened the doors, announcing the arrival of a figure whose cloak flowed elegantly behind them.

"The Queen Maekora of House Maltheon, ruler of the Western Skies, risen from the blood of Old Valyria, ally to the Crown. Accompanied with her son and heir Prince Maegon Maltheon," The guard announced as the Queen herself strode in, carrying a single sword.

The Dragon Prince followed straight behind her as well as the two brothers of the Queen, and a soft smile spread on Rhaenyra's face. Maekara walked up to the throne, stopping before the steps and throwing down a sword.

"The sword of the traitor Jason Lannister, Your Grace," Mae said as Rhaenyra looked down at it, "Flew over the battle just to retrieve this."

The sword landed with a loud clang, the sigil of House Lannister carved into the hilt. It's user, Jason Lannister, slain at the bloodiest battle of this entire Dance.

"Add it to the chair." The same words Daemon Targaryen had uttered all those years ago, but chills still ran down the Queen's spine. Prince Jacaerys watched with a proud smirk as the Queen and her family bent the knee to their greatest ally yet.