Rook's Rest

The raven from Rook's Rest arrived to Queen Rhaenyra, days after it had been written.

Her Grace spoke with her council to figure out the best way to approach Rook's Rest with no casualties and to rid the town of the King's army. But what they didn't know was that Ser Criston had already pitched a plan to King Aegon to trap whoever came to help Lord Staunton.

And the help did come when a dragon flew above Rooks Rest. The Red Queen, they called her, for the scarlet scales that covered her. The membranes of her wings were pink, her crest, horns, and claws bright as copper. And on her back, in steel and copper armor that flashed in the sun, rode Rhaenys Targaryen, the Queen Who Should Have Been.

Ser Criston looked up at the Red Queen and her rider, smiling as he realized that his plan had worked

Ser Criston looked up at the Red Queen and her rider, smiling as he realized that his plan had worked. They had lured a dragon rider out of their hiding place in Dragonstone and it was the perfect time to strike.

Meleys rained fire on Criston's men, arrows and spears were thrown at the Red Queen and the Princess. The men were under the impression that the arrows would badly harm the dragon, but it only fueled her further.

She descended swiftly, spewing fire in all directions. Knights found themselves consumed by flames as their horses' hair, hide, and harnesses caught fire. Men-at-arms dropped their spears and scattered, some attempting to protect themselves behind their shields. But neither oak nor iron could withstand the scorching breath of the dragon.

Amidst the swirling smoke and flames, Ser Criston remained seated on his white horse, shouting, "Aim for the rider!" Meleys roared once more, smoke billowing from her flaring nostrils, as she clamped her jaws around a stallion, engulfing him in a rush of fire.

An answering roar pierced the air as two more winged figures appeared: King Aegon, mounted proudly on Sunfyre the Golden, and his brother Aemond astride Vhagar. Ser Criston had executed his trap, and Rhaenys had been lured into it. Now, the trap's jaws closed tightly around her.

As Princess Rhaenys stared at the two oncoming dragons, she took a deep breath, and when everyone thought she was going to fly away, she tightened the reins around her hand, making no attempt to flee. So, with a crack of her whip and a war cry, she turned Meleys to the two dragons.

Meleys had no chance against Vhagar and Sunfyre combined. The dragons fought a thousand feet above the ground. Meleys' jaws closed around Sunfyre's neck as Vhagar sank her teeth into Meley's wing. The dragons bit into each other and the sound of dragons growling and fire spreading burned into the minds of those who witnessed the battle.

Aegon grunted as he held on to Sunfyre's reins, nearly falling off.

"Kill her!" Aegon screamed at his brother, who let out a war cry alongside him, as Sunfyre screeched in pain.

Aemond turned swiftly to the side and was met with the giant jaws of Maraxes, the black and orange dragon belonging to Princess Maxine.

The beautiful dragon having been named by a Valyrian goddess, bit into Sunfyre's other golden wing, tearing it apart. Princess Maxine bore black leather armor, wielding a sword longer than a small spear. She gave the King and his brother a wide smile, as Maraxes tore into Sunfyre. Aemond ordered Vhagar away and turned her ready to crash into Meleys.