Chapter 4.2

—♥︎ꕺ𐀔ꕺ♥︎—
𝗗𝗮𝗿𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗠𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻
𝖯𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝟦, 𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝟤
—♥︎ꕺ𐀔ꕺ♥︎—

GAZING CURIOUSLY AT THE MAN—WHO I NOW KNOW IS CALLED ELIJAH—SIDE PROFILE, I keep quiet as Sophie leads us to the cave I first woke up in earlier and inhale sharply as he turns to meet my gaze

GAZING CURIOUSLY AT THE MAN—WHO I NOW KNOW IS CALLED ELIJAH—SIDE PROFILE, I keep quiet as Sophie leads us to the cave I first woke up in earlier and inhale sharply as he turns to meet my gaze. His eyes filled with amusement to my embarrassment and I bite my lip before quickly turning away as if I hadn't been looking at him in the first place.

"You always were a curious enigma." He speaks, ignoring Sophie who is most likely listening in.

Not being able to hide my curiosity, I turn and meet his eye, an exhilarating buzz vibrating through my veins as I realise his close proximity. Our arms brushing against one another as we walk and I can't help but wonder and hope that this is the man that could possibly father my baby.

"How do you know me?" I blurt out, unable to keep my questions to myself any longer.

"That, unfortunately, is a question with many complex answers."

"Is that just fancy talk for saying it's complicated?" I frown, trying to get a read on his face as he straightens his hard gaze on the back of Sophie's head.

"If by complicated, you mean an intricate answer with many interconnected elements, then yes." He replies, the corner of his mouth lifting in a half smirk as I gape, not knowing how to answer to that.

"You're... a man of many words." I manage to mumble out.

"So I've heard."

Biting my tongue, I take in all the information I've been given within the last hour and find my hands cradling my flat stomach comfortingly. "I'm guessing the life I forgot is pretty complex, huh."

"It is certainly not as simple as I'm assuming you'd hoped."

"Nothing good ever is." I smile faintly his way, appreciating the fond smile he sends back, his eyes soft with an emotion I'm not quite familiar with, but it sends a warmth through my stomach and to my heart.

Looking ahead, I glower at the elder witch waiting in the tomb as though she'd never left and feel Elijah tense up next to me, stepping in front of me partially as if he could sense my unease. Frowning as she whispers in Sophie's ear quickly, I step closer into Elijah's back since he's the only one I trust at this moment in time—at least partially. As if something inside of me is urging me to trust that he knows what's best for me and the child growing inside of me, that trust expanding into the faith to keep us safe.