Chapter 2.7

***

***

Walking through the woods in comfortable silence, I watch Stefan walk ahead of me his brows furrowed painfully as he seems to be in deep thought.

After Damon and Bonnie had taken off in the truck along with Mason, Elena had shown up and given Stefan a stern talking to about him lying to her and keeping secrets constantly before storming away, not allowing him to even utter a word. I don't blame her for being mad, I mean technically he did start off their relationship with a lie while keeping many more from her even after she found out about vampires, it's natural that's she'd be paranoid he'd lie again. But that gives her no right to scold him like a child in front of all of us in public, plus she could have been a little more understanding of the situation. Especially since with Katherine here it's bound to stir up some unwanted emotions in both the Salvatore's, considering she's faked her death for all these years only to pop back into their lives like it was nothing.

I'm not saying I hate Katherine, I mean I believe that she's a terrible person and has done terrible things like using Stefan and Damon for her own enjoyment, along with pinning them against each other. But I can also sympathise with her, I realise that she wasn't born like this. Unfortunately she was born a doppelgänger and that made her subjected to being hunted down by the one and only Niklaus Mikaelson just so he can sacrifice her over some rock and become a hybrid. But just like Katherine, Klaus was also not born into the monster that people believe he is today. Together they're both victims in their own way and their lives are forever intwined.

Broken people give broken love. I guess that's why Klaus daggers his siblings, and in his own twisted way he sees it as helping them yet also keeping himself safe due to his fear of abandonment. And like Klaus, Katherine also fears being alone - not that she'd admit it - that's why she clings to the small hope that Stefan and Damon may hold even a small slice of love in their hearts for her. It's ironic how much they're alike considering the hate they hold for each other.

In the midst of my thoughts, I failed to realise that we had reached the well that uncle Mason had hidden the 'moonstone' in and in my ignorance, I failed to warn Stefan that the well was filled with vervain as his painful screams echo from the well along with the cracking of stone as he slams his fists on the jagged rocks in his panic until his movements slow and the sound of his low groaning can only be heard.

Rushing the edge of the well, I squint into the darkness as I see his figure slump against the caving wall. Gulping down the nausea that rises through my throat, I bite my lip as guilt eats away at my stomach. Looking around for anything to help, I rush towards the pile of rusted chains on the floor and thank god silently that it's long enough to reach the bottom of the well.

Turning to Care for some help, she rushes over to me effortlessly picking up the clinking metal before wrapping it around the pole above the old well and ushering me over so she can wrap it under my butt and hook it under my chest so I can sit on the chain while making sure there's enough room for me to hook the rusted steel over Stefan's torso so she can pull him up once I get down there.