Chapter 3.18

***

***

Staring at the dried blood wedged in the cracks of the tiles, the blood having forever stained the porcelain, I rest my chin between the gap of my knees and hold my legs tightly to my chest. Sinking low into the pink tinted lukewarm water within the large tub, I tip my head back allowing Caroline to wash the shampoo from my hair, the suds from the soap washing down my back and dissolving into a foam floating around my body like an invisible ward.

"I'm sorry about what happened with your dad." I croak out within the tense silence. My voice raw from my constant cries, new tears stinging beneath my eyelids. The sounds of my screams accompanied by the explosion of stone and the thud of a body echoing as a reminder in my mind.

"You didn't mean it." Caroline whispers, washing the rest of the soap from my hair.

Pulling away from her hand, I turn slightly to see her face, tears of her own running down her cheeks. "Caroline... I am so so sorry."

"He hurt Tyler." She shakes her head, attempting to blink back the glaze in her eyes.

"He's still your dad."

"He abandoned my mom. He abandoned me." Her shoulders shake with the weight of her words.

"He still raised you." I reach for her hand.

"He replaced us with his new family." She laces our fingers.

"You still love him."

"He locked me up and tortured me." She cries, her face pinching in grief and sorrow.

"I know." I whisper, pulling her closer allowing her head to rest on my shoulder.

"I feel so stupid. I feel like I don't know who he is— was. Who he was." Her voice lowers sombrely.

"Your still allowed to grieve him. The person he was and person he became. He was still your father."

Pulling away from me after a long moment of sombre silence, Care scoffs toward herself with a condoling smile. "God! Here I am supposed to be comforting you—"

"No. No, Care. Our relationship doesn't work like that, you know that. We're there when we need each other, any day, any time. Always," I push her at arms length, reaching forward to take hold of the crescent moon necklace around her neck holding my golden sun necklace in the other hand. "Honestly, I'm glad to be comforting someone than needing the comforting for once. It's refreshing."

"Guess my dad dying was a good thing then." She releases an ironic chuckle, her blatant humor setting a smile on my face as she sends me a meaningful look. "For what it's worth, I am sorry about Finn."

The moment his name falls from her lips, a shudder runs through me, the hollow feeling in my chest making its return as a reminder of our severed tether. Rubbing the lost sensation over my chest, I bit my lip to hold back the familiar rise of tears and release a trembling sigh past my pale lips. The thought of him stuck on the Other Side for all eternity making me sick to my stomach.