Chapter 1.16

***

***

Sitting on the Salvatore's couch, I smile up at Damon as he hands me a glass with a little of his blood.

"Thanks. I can not go home like this. My parents would practically kill me and don't get me started on Care and Ty." I voice, wincing as I sit up straight.

"Drink up, gorgeous. Let's take a look at that bruise, hmm."

Taking a small sip of the warm blood, i scrunch my nose up before turning around as Enzo sits behind me, lifting my shirt up slightly.

Humming, he drops my shirt leaning back into the couch. "Well I've seen worse. But it's already healing, so keep drinking."

"Thanks." I whisper appreciatively.

"What you did was dangerous." Damon states as he leans his forearms on the back of the arm chair, sipping his bourbon.

"I know. But I had to help. I-I thought I could help." I mumble sadly towards the end, my thoughts on Stefan and his addiction to blood.

"It was reckless." Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Turning around I look towards Stefan worriedly as he repeatedly taps his fingers against his thigh, the blood high he was on wearing off.

Unable to help myself, I stand walking towards him cautiously. "Are you okay?"

Stepping back, he clears his throat as I pause in my steps. Setting his eyes on my hip, he gestures towards the previous wound. "I'm fine. Are you?"

Sucking in a sharp breath, I look down then back into his eyes. "I'm okay... Stefan, what happened back there-"

"I'm sorry you had to see that. See that side of me."

"It's okay. I-I get it now. Why you feed from animals. You can't control the urge. Right?" I say softly, although a little hesitantly.

Looking down ashamed, he purses his lips. "You caught onto that huh?"

Smiling a little, I attempt to keep the mood light. "Hey, you don't have to be ashamed of that Stefan. It's not something you can control. Like how some people get addicted to drugs or alcohol or sex."

"It is much more dangerous than that Maddie." He warns, the atmosphere tense yet again.

"Your a ripper." Enzo voices, astounded as he assesses Stefan.

"A what?" I question cluelessly.

"A ripper. They're vampires that never grow full. They feed on humans until they rip them apart." Enzo explains to me, keeping his eyes on Stefan.

"Oh." I voice, not knowing what to say as I observe Stefan's defeated figure.

Gazing down on me with a worried expression, he seems almost desperate. "Please don't be scared of me."