Chapter 1.9

***

***

Clearing my throat after myself and Caroline calm down from our sob fest, she stands and pulls me to my feet with the help of Stefan as he steadies me. Looking over to an emotional Bonnie, I smile and offer her a hug that she gratefully rushes into muttering her unnecessary apologies.

"I'm sorry. I-I'm so s-sorry Maddie."

Breaking the hug I put her at arms length stating strongly, "Bonnie Bennett, this was not your fault okay? I mean you were possessed by your crazy ancestor who was terrorising you for gods sake! So, stop apologising. You have nothing to apologise for. I don't want to hear another 'I'm sorry' coming out of that pretty mouth okay?"

Laughing, she smiles at me in relief whispering an 'okay' before wrapping me in another hug as Care hovers behind us, visibly asserting she's not leaving my side anytime soon.

"How are you even alive?" Elena asks in disbelief,

Sniffling slightly I pull away from Bonnie and answer, "I found a protection spell in a grimoire a friend gave me. I didn't know if it'd work but after having a nightmare that I'm guessing Emily planted into my head, I just had a feeling I'd need it."

"Wait, Emily gave you a nightmare? Why didn't you say anything?" Bonnie questions, obviously a little hurt that I kept it from her.

"Well I was going to say something, but then in history you seemed like you had problems of your own with how tired you looked. So I didn't tell you because I didn't want to give you something else to stress about." I say tilting my head before wincing at the throbbing pain in my neck.

"Are you okay?" Stefan asks concerned stepping forward arm outstretched, having seen my wince.

"Yeah. It's just my neck. I guess the spell only protected me from death, not pain. It's a good thing I didn't get my heart ripped out, that would hurt like a bitch to regrow." I say jokingly although none of them laugh.

Looking me over in worry the vegetarian quickly bites into his wrist as we all grimace at the loud crunch while he brings his bloody flesh toward my face, "Here, my blood. It'll help heal you."

Biting my lip I consider his offer mainly because I'm weirdly curious about the taste of vampire blood. However I decline tiredly, "Uh, thanks but I think I'd rather just sleep it off."

He bends down slightly pinning me with the familiar intense gaze questioning, "Are you sure?"

Smiling at his concern I reassure him, "Yes, I'm sure. Thank you though Steffie. I'd rather just sleep for a couple of days if I'm being honest."

Feeling a jerk on my arm I turn to see Caroline looking at me with a hopeful yet nervous grin, "Sleepover?"

Huffing amused, I smile thankfully nodding not wanting to be alone, "Sleepover."