Chapter 2.12

***

***

Trigger warning in this chapter: Panic Attack - I will place '', '' before and after the scene.

"What the fuck is going on here?!"

Looking at all the guilty faces in front of me, I try not to show the hurt I'm feeling at them actively going behind my back to open the tomb to get the moonstone from Katherine.

After I had gotten the message from Damon about them being the stupid ones for once, I had half a mind to leave them be and suffer the consequences of their foolish plan. However, there was no way I was going to leave Jeremy in the clutches of a desperate and hungry five hundred year old vampire. So here I am scolding the three in front of me as Caroline and Tyler stand just behind me watching the scene unfold after our movie day having been interrupted by a simple text from the eldest Salvatore.

"Well?" I ask expectantly as they look down in shame, not meeting my harsh gaze.

"Maddie-"

"Yes?"

Hesitating at my harsh tone, Stefan looks up to meet my eyes. Gritting my teeth, I try to hold back the fury behind my mask as he tries to figure out how to handle the situation.

"I'm sorry." He eventually breathes out.

Letting out a strained laugh, I realise just how hurt I am by them going behind my back and find my self restraint about to snap the longer I look the guilty Salvatore in the eyes.

"You're sorry? What was it we talked about earlier Stefan? About being on the same page and not going rogue on suicide missions. We agreed to keep each other in the loop and not go behind each others backs for the safety of us all. I get that your desperate to keep Elena safe but that doesn't mean you can put those I love in danger at the cost of that!"

Ignoring his hurt face, I feel Caroline reach for my hand to calm me down as I look away from Stefan, his remorseful face forcing guilt to bubble up from the pit of my stomach. Squeezing Cares hand to ground myself, I find my stance and look the Bennett in the eyes as she shrinks back.

"If you think this is how you can repay me? Then you need to take a long look in the mirror and reevaluate your priorities, Bonnie."

Low blow, I know. But I can't seem to find a way for her to hear me, especially since I know she's doing this for Elena. All she ever does and will do will be for the benefit of Elena. I just hope to give her the push to at least think about the consequences of her actions before she blindly follows through with them due to her loyalty to the newest doppelgänger. Dismissing her flinch at my my words, I turn my gaze to the youngest in the room and feel my face soften at the boy as he tenses up awaiting his turn.