Chapter 1.15

***

***

Clearing my throat of the awkwardness. I turn up the radio, earning a thankful look from Caroline. Surprisingly, even she can't diminish the tension between the two vampires in the back seats, as Ty sits uncomfortably between them.

Somehow, I managed to convince Enzo that torturing the demon would not be the best first impression on my brother, and also that I really didn't want blood all over the seats of my car. Although appreciating the nickname, he did promise to torture Damon later, but not right now. For me. So after killing the sponsors, he tied up Dr. Frankenstein, fed him his blood when he woke up, and killed him. And now he's unconscious in the trunk of my car. Oh. We also burned down the building that held all of Wes' experiments - so no more cannibal vampire injection. Then I made Enzo a daylight ring. And now he won't stop calling me his guardian angel.

Attempting to lighten the mood, I direct my attention towards the pair. "So, are you guys planning on torturing the doctor in my trunk?"

Almost simultaneously, malicious smirks climb both their faces, at the thought of getting revenge on Dr. Maxfield.

"Of course we are my guardian angel. Right before I give Damon the beating he deserves of course." The British vampire grins cheekily.

Cringing, Damon turns to Enzo almost uncaringly. "Can't we just call a truce or something. It was like fifty years ago! You think you'd forgotten about it by now."

"You'd be surprised with how long something can play on your mind within fifty years of isolation and torture, Damon."

Parting my lips, I scan Damon's dejected face and Enzo's haunted features. I can't help but pity them both for all the things they've had to go through in the past, and on top of their shattered relationship. Biting my lip, I force myself to not tear up. Because like me, I suspect they both too hate pity. Stupid empathy.

——

"So, what now?"

After dropping Damon and Enzo off at the Salvatore Boarding house. Myself, Tyler and Caroline decided to go to her house and spend some much needed sibling time together, ordering a pizza and watching a movie.

Laying back and patting my tummy, I glance at the empty pizza box before huffing. "Well, I'm a little full right now, but I guess I do have some room for gummy be-"

"No, Maddie. I mean, what now? Enzo's safe. You've got the moonstone. So what's next?" Care asks impatiently, interrupting me.

Taking a minute to process, I furrow by brows. "Well, nothing for now. Elena's off searching for her birth mother with Steffie. And until she and John come looking for the Gilbert device, there's nothing to do."