♦35♦

Sky's POV

Just as I approached the dinning area, my nostrils get filled with the wonderful smell of fried potatoes and egg.

The closer I got to the table, I noticed two individuals seated there, already eating from the plate before them.

Mother and her supposed lover- Felix.

Mum directed her attention to my standing form, noticing my presence. A wide smile crawled on her face, attracting Felix's attention too. The man had an instant look of dislike scrunched on his face. I should have mirrored his gaze, but I kept my expression neutral because of my mum.

Still don't know why she hasn't dumped him.

"Join us at the table, darling" mother said, pulling the chair beside her backwards.

Felix's gaze of disdain trailed on me as I moved to the vacant space beside my mum.

"Good morning mum and morning to you Mister" I focused my attention on Felix, he nodded his reply, without removing his eyes from me.

"How was your night, darling?" She asked, with a smile on her face, supporting her head with her hands.

"Fine, mum" I munched on the potatoes and egg served before me.

"So, Faith, as I was saying. I tried calling you that day to make things fun, but no network. I was stranded for twenty four hours, without you" Felix said, leering at my mum.

I rolled my eyes at him. Felix ranted on to my mum about his trip to Kaduna, which was boring as hell. He tried adding jokes, but his efforts went futile.

I glanced at my mum, she looked as if she wanted to be anywhere but here, as she  listened to the nonsense Mr Felix called being funny. Soon, his trash talk began to annoy me, to the point where I couldn't hold back my urge to speak.

"Whatever this is, Mr Felix, it isn't working"

"Excuse me?" He asked, glaring at me.

"What do you mean, Sky?" Mother also questioned me.

"You're making me and my mum uncomfortable with your silly attempt to make us laugh"

"Sky!" Mother scolded.

"That's it! From the first day you introduced me to your son, he never liked me!" Felix yelled at my mum, slamming his hand on the glass table. The aggressiveness in his tone caused my mum to flinch.

"It's not my fault men like you are gold diggers"

"That's enough! I refuse to sit here and absorb insults from a sixteen year old" Felix thundered, standing up from his chair.

Actually, I'm seventeen.

"Felix, wait! Skyler! Go to your room!" Mother screamed at me, while trying to calm her lover down.

"What?"

"Skyler, get out!" She yelled, even louder than earlier.

It pissed me off to see my mother take sides with this man over me. I pushed the chair backwards angrily, and get out of it. I walked out of their presence, heading up the stairs.

I force my room door open, grab my school bag, other things and dashed out of my room.

••••♦••••

I settled in the back seat of my class, not wanting to engage in the ongoing activity in the class. The anger Mr Felix erupted within me and my mum's attitude was still very fresh in my mind.