♣CHAPTER ONE♣

~•Yemima Adams•~

I put on the last piece of my uniform which was the blue blazer. I stared at myself in the mirror attached to my dressing table and a smile formed on my face.

The white collared shirt helped compliment the blue and lavender stripped tie that drooped down to the top band of my skirt, highlighting the embroidered badge of SkyLine Academy on the tie and the breast pocket. The school's blazer also had the Academy's badge embroidered on the pocket. The admiral blue pleated skirt hung perfectly on my slim waist, stopping mid thigh before it hit my knee. I had on my feet, black ankle socks and white sneakers, adding glory to my well ironed uniform.

Everyone's uniform had the same vibe, except boys who wore trousers. SkyLine Academy uniform screamed prestige in capital letters.

"Not bad" I whispered positively to myself. My black braids were arranged neatly, in a single bun. My lips shinning like the sun, cause of the thick lip gloss I applied earlier.

I'm over confident and ready for school. I grabbed my back pack from my bed and head out of my room.

I padded through the long empty corridor. When I reached the stairs, I descended without hesitation. I pulled a chair at the dinning area for myself as I  observed my parents moving around our spacious dinning room, trying to prepare for work.

"Good morning mum and dad" I beamed happily at them.

"Hi honey" mother planted a kiss on my cheek to reciprocate my gesture.

"How was your night, dear?" Father questioned politely, while pouring his coffee mixture into a white mug.

"Perfect, dad!" I responded brightly to his question. My dad bobbed gently at me, then emptied his cup of coffee at a gulp.

I turned to my Mother as she slid cup of chocolate and a plate of sliced bread across the marble table to me. I smiled and mouthed a thank you to mum.

I glanced at my wristwatch. The time told 6:30am and the school bus will be here any minute from now.

The thought of school caused my appetite to vanish. I wiped my sweaty palm on my admiral blue pleated skirt. Whatever confidence I had while in my room degraded into nothing, but anxiety.

I'm sure mother noticed my mood change cause her expression is one of a confused individual. She proceeded to ask her question.

"Baby, are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom, just nervous about the resumption. That's all" I said to my mother, in an explanatory manner. She chuckled at my statement, forcing a smile to form on my lips.

"You'll get used to it" she landed another kiss on my head before leaving the dinning room. The moment mother's presence escaped the room, I noticed my dad's absence.

That man really is a ghost.

Mother took her joyful aura with her, releasing an overflow of fear that enveloped me, again. I glanced at my watch eagerly, this time.

My body jolted in surprise at how fast the time flew. Few minutes ago it was 6:30 and now it's 7:15, yet no sign of the school bus. I tapped my feet against the tiles, impatiently. My lack of patience only helped to fuel my anxiety more and more.

Resumption has never been a big deal for me, up until this point. It's my final year in secondary school. A fresh start for everyone, a new beginning that determines where we go from here.

I felt a presence behind me. I turned back and locked gazes with my older brother, David. He's asleep, yet awake. His sleepy features forced a prolonged laugh from me.