♦ 12 ♦

~•Dorothy Owolabi•~

Myself, Delight and Mrs Chinedu moved to the podium. The conference room was jam-packed with students, eager to know the results of the election. My posture was endowed with great confidence, lording over those who stood beneath me. I knew I would be declared the winner at the end of the day.

Fenix, you will eat my dust.

I sighted Fenix in the crowd, grinning cheekily at nothing. Her stupid gesture made me titter, the results will soon wipe that cheeky grin off of your face ,bitch.. That attracted attention to myself, earning me a few harsh stares from the officials on stage.

"...both girls performed excellently but, we have only one winner. Who is..." Mrs Chinedu trailed off, to spice up the tension.

"Delight Johnson is the official club president of SkyLine Academy" Mrs Chinedu yanked Delight's feeble hand upward, indicating her victory and my failure. This small act aroused mixed emotions among the audience.

"What! How can this happen?" Mrs Chinedu glanced back, shooting me a wicked glare but, I cared less right now.

"Delight is the winner and there's nothing you can do to change it" Mrs Chinedu snarled, quietly but her seriousness was very obvious.

I looked around, at the officials on stage, wide grins was plastered all over their faces. It's seemed like I'm surrounded by Fenix's supporters.

Just go there and give the puppet a hand shake.

Forcefully gulping down my pride, I plodded to Delight. I stretched my hand for a shake, Delight trailed her vision from my face down to my stretched out hand, with her expression morphing into surprise.

Mrs Chinedu signaled Delight to take my offer and the dumb girl launched her hand at me, handshaking me with so much courage.

One that disgusts me.

That insignificant deed made the audience fall into silence. Rewarding me with respect.

"A round of applause!" Mrs Chinedu's command is reciprocated by loud class and cheers from the students.

"That's enough, that's enough!" Her voice demanded for silence in the hall, once more. With immediate effect, the students complied to the direction.

"Let's listen to the newly elected president give her inaugural speech" Mrs Chinedu stepped away from the microphone, giving Delight full authority over the stage.

This luxury should have been mine

••••♥••••

"... according to Isaac Newton..." Mr Fabian's explanation faded into non-existence in my mind.

Concentration was far from me at the moment. The teacher's body movement and passion emphasized the seriousness of the topic but, my head just wasn't in the game today.

After the election results were announced, my body, soul and spirit dived into depression mode. I never considered defeat as an option, so I didn't plan for the after effect, which was pain. My whole body felt like the blood circulating my system was being replaced by agony.

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips. I carefully placed my head on the desk, trying to avoid he teachers attention. Within a few minutes, I drifted to the land I've never been in my entire life. The land most people describe as depression.