Paths Decided

The two children turned to the sound of the voice... and Erika actually cringed. The man was always an affront to the eyes. Especially when she sees it every day when she gets Izuku from his room.
It was Allmight. He was clearly strong, but it was more due to his quirk, not anything else. At least, that was her initial impression. She glanced to Izuku, only to see his eyes with stars. There was no arguing about heroes with him at this point. Especially here.

They had their philosophical differences, that much was obvious. Izuku was obsessed with heroes, while she... was definitely not. The green haired boy debated the intricacies, further developing his own mind in the process. He was far more nuanced, but it wasn't enough to shake his faith.

Faith. Something abhorrent. A self delusion which shackles wolves from their true potential. And something completely stubborn.

Izuku was quick to tell him. "A-Allmight! Th-this is my hero training. I haul trash, disassemble it and sort the metal out for Erika to use."

"REALLY?" He appraised the forge. "IT SEEMS A LITTLE ANTIQUATED, BUT THAT'S NO ISSUE AT ALL! I AM IMPRESSED WITH BOTH OF YOUR DETERMINATION!"

She narrowed her eyes, but only watched as Izuku fumbled with his words. Erika knew what he wanted to ask, but listened anyways. It was always something he needed to know.

"Th-thank you, Allmight! I've... I've always looked up to you, as my idol of what a hero should be! Um... before you leave for any of your important duties... could you...?"

"SIGN YOUR NOTEBOOK? SURE!"

Erika narrowed her eyes. Sure he was strong, but that arrogance was unnatural. Automatically asking to give a signature? Pure pretention.

Instead, Izuku sighed, slightly disappointed. After all, the ex-warlord had called that this would happen in his first meeting. "No... well, I'd like that too, but... I want your opinion on something."

"OF COURSE, FIRE AWAY!" The man's smile was still beaming.

"Do... do you think a quirkless person like me can be a hero?"

The silence was deafening. They both knew that Allmight's answer would change his perception of heroes. It had been declining in recent months, part of which was due to Erika, she admits, but ultimately, it was something that needed to happen. Allmight was the one beacon standing in their way.

Allmight glanced over the whole beach. He'd made a significant dent in it, and it was clear he was giving his all. In a softer voice, the man stated. "To some, you would already be considered a hero. You are giving back to the community, free of charge. That takes a lot of heart. And you are using your mind to think of a way to improve yourselves at the same time. That's what being a hero takes. Using your heart and your mind to help others. As a pro, that's what is most important." He turned back, "So yes, I do believe that you, too, can be a hero! It will be difficult, and you may not have the same tools as others do, that being quirks, but you can do it!"

And that solidified it. Erika lost Izuku to heroism in that particular moment. This would be the moment where she was depending on Allmight being a dolt, like he was on TV, being a fake like the rest... but he was genuine. And that would stick.

Plans would have to be made and altered. But, she would continue with her current plan. Izuku's 14th birthday, and the UA entrance exams, were fast approaching. If she wanted to at least thank the Midoriyas for their hospitality, she'd have to work quickly. At least until Allmight's attention was on her.

"AND YOU, YOUNG MISS? ANY ASPIRATIONS OF HEROISM LIKE YOUR FRIEND?"

She looked up at the man. Well, not so much a big height difference, but more of just a couple inches difference.

The blonde didn't break her gaze from him. "No. Lawbringers failed me too often. I won't be one of them. I'll find my own path."

Surprised, he still laughed, the ass, before exclaiming, "WELL SPOKEN, YOUNG MISS. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISH! BUT FOR NOW, I MUST GO! IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YOU BOTH!" He tensed, and leapt away. Izuku was over the moon, but Erika... wasn't.

Their lives were on different paths now. He just didn't see it yet.

Like Erika predicted, the month passed quickly, and the Midoriya family was quick to celebrate Izuku's birthday. The meal was delicious (Katsudon, of course), the company was exemplary, and now it was time for the cake. It was a bit bigger than last year's (According to Izuku, himself), but that was probably because Erika was with them now. As they celebrated, they eventually got to the presents. Inko got him another set of notebooks and yet another Allmight action figure. This one was more... interesting... as it appeared to be a version of him in armor, face revealed, and with the cloth regalia mirroring the colors of his costume. The metal of the armor itself was a golden/brass color. He stood regally, hands resting on the pommel of a longsword, similar to what Erika designed. "I know that you were looking forward to the next line release. You always are. I hid it from you to surprise you."

Izuku, however, was amazed. It reminded him of Erika as well, especially since she was a blacksmith, or at least had the skills of one. He loved it, and even though the ex-warlord didn't particularly care for it... she put her feelings aside for him to enjoy the event. And, all things considered, it did look far better than his other figures. Those were ridiculous.

Now it was her turn. "I'm sorry, let me go get my gift." Standing up, she walked to her room, and found what she was looking for.

Her room was covered in drawings and sketches of her own design of things from her previous world. Sketches of the Blackstone's fortress, of the different knights, vikings and samurai. Izuku had taught her how to draw, and it was clear that he succeeded. Searching under her simple grey styled bed, she found what the ex-warlord had stashed: A longsword. It was beautifully made, with a simple, yet crisp blade, styled with engravings. The handle was made from a red wood, wrapped in leather, and the crossguard was made from a deep green material which was plenty durable, matching his hair and eyes. The place where the guard met the blade had inlaid emeralds, one small one on each side, further accentuating the blade's connection to its recipient, its future wielder.

Satisfied with her work, she brought it back to the living room. "Can you both close your eyes?" And they did. Setting the blade carefully onto the table, she then said, confidently, "You may now open them."

And they did, both gasping at the item before them. Izuku reached forward, looking at Erika, who nodded, before lifting the blade. "This is... for me?"

"Yes. As we cleaned that horrid beachhead, I took the metal from that... dump... and purified it, forging this very blade from the refined slag. I made a prototype, and it can cut through most things easily. This is your companion, for whatever path you choose."

Inko didn't look pleased, but she didn't like violence of any kind, especially not implications of such.

"If you want to be a quirkless hero... you need something to help even the odds. This is the best I can do. A poleax is too large, a dagger is too situational. This will be the best thing to help. You can use it to defend yourself. You'll learn how to use, and take care of such a blade. This is my thank you for your generosity."

Izuku ran a hand along it, feeling the design, before standing up from his chair and hugging her. Surprised by the sudden move of emotion, Erika smiled, and reciprocated.

I'm sorry Izuku. I won't be able to train you. I will leave you my notes on Wardens... so that way you can use it.

But this is the last night I will stay here. I can't remain here any more. We have our separate paths... and I must take my own.

Keep my gift close, and may it protect you