Sports Festival: The Race

Today was the day. The Sports Festival. This is where their career as heroes would gain its first boost... but it was all determined on their performance. And, of course, because he got first in the Heroics course, he had to give a speech. He listened to the announcer, Present Mic, as he introduced the day for everyone. "WELCOME, ONE AND ALL, TO THE ANNUAL SPORTS FESTIVAL. TODAY, I AM JOINED BY THE NEW SECURITY OFFICER OF UA! SAY HI, SHOTA!"

"No."

"AW, DON'T BE A SPOILSPORT! TRY TO ENTERTAIN THE AUDIENCE A LITTLE!"

"Heroes aren't supposed to be entertainers."

"SAYS YOU! LET'S MOVE ONTO THE CLASSES!"

I can't believe I agree with Aizawa on this, but... well, I think it's time to remind people what heroes are supposed to be, Izuku thought, as most just give us accolades for the USJ. But they fail to remember what we lost. It's time to weed out those who just want fame, but aren't prepared to work for it. As well as Izuku's own frustrations. Villains targeted them, and now they were to set up their strengths and weaknesses before the world. Sheer idiocy on the organizer's part. Stepping up to the pedestal, he, instead of going to the spotlight, took the microphone and wandered a bit with it. "This is a mistake."

He let the whispers die down. "The Sports festival, I mean. I can get the logic of doing it, but it should have been pushed back. Or the first years not televised. We've been attacked, and villains have it out for us, and yet..." He gestured around, an expression of well, we have to do this on his face. "We're still expected to show what we can do to them. Ah well. I'll keep this brief, as I'm sure you're a bit tired of hearing from me. I wish to speak to those who want to be a hero for reasons other than the job itself." Pausing, he stated, "Heroism is not just being a celebrity. Sure, they're portrayed that way, but if you approach it like this... well, you'll die. Heroism is a duty. You are putting your life on the line for others. Most don't make it past their thirties. Those that do often don't retire. You are signing your life to service. That is what I have all understood. If you seek to be in the hero course through this, without realizing that, then you won't last a year in the field. That being said... if you are here to do your best and have fun, then do your best, but have fun. I'm done. Let the games begin!" Giving the mic to Midnight, she watched him leave for his class.

With the speech over, Nemuri took over. That was certainly a critique of Nezu, although the staff knew it was more a critique of the hero commission, who strong armed Nezu in this case. It wasn't like him to be outmaneuvered, "Alright, thank you Midoriya! Now, the first challenge is to be selected!" She walked over to a wheel. One side had been weighted, because they had already built the obstacle course ahead of time. "And it's... the obstacle course! All classes, head to the starting line!"

Izuku and his class had already planned for this. Looking at the small tunnel... and their placement, he called out to them, "CLASS A! PLAN DELTA-BETA 2."

A choruses of yes replied back, to their confusion. It was fair enough. Each plan was simple. Each code word had meaning. Delta was used for escape plans, Beta meant from a structure, and 2... well... it was very congested. The general gist was this: Use whatever means you can to escape the crowd, and we'll move from there. They could barely hear Midnight over the din of excitement. "3... 2... 1..."

"NOW!"

The majority of students just tried to move forward, which got them stuck at the bottleneck: the first major obstacle. Many of Class A went over the students, instead of trying to just push their way through. Even the larger ones. Izuku was no exception, careful to not step on anyone's head... just their shoulders. One, two, three... and a jump and he was out. Checking on the rest, it seemed that all of them had made good time. Perfect.