Chapter Fifty-Four - Drystan

Drystan took his time getting dressed. He knew that today was the day. Carwel wanted to get this fight over with and was tired of waiting. Honestly, so was he, but he didn't want to leave his mate. He knew that she was going to be protected, he made sure of it. There were a couple of males in the compound that he knew wouldn't touch her or hurt her while he was gone and would make sure that she was safe. They were going to stay behind and watch over her. Drystan's eyes moved over to where Melora was sitting across from him in their tent. Her eyes watched him intensely. He could see the worry and sadness in her beautiful eyes and his gut clenched with guilt. He hated seeing her look at him like that.

"Don't look at me like that, Melora," he begged her. He grabbed his swords and placed them on the ground beside him before reaching out and taking her hands in his. "I'm going to come back. I promised you that I was."

"I know," Melora's voice was small as she continued to stare up at him. Her eyes never changed emotion. "You better keep that promise."

Drystan nodded quickly. "I will, Melora." He pressed his lips against hers passionately before pulling back slightly. "I will." He kissed her again before reluctantly pulling away. He grabbed his swords. "I love you, Melora."

Melora's hands were in tight fists on her knees as she took a deep breath, holding her head high for him. "I love you, Drystan. Be careful."

Drystan gave a tight nod before exiting the tent. He clipped his swords on either side of his hips and forced his feet to move away from his mate. He took a deep breath and controlled his breathing as he moved through the compound. He stopped at the edge of the compound, nodding his head toward Dante and Draco. They were going to be closer behind him than the rest of the army, but still keeping enough distance between them for Alathic to believe that Drystan was alone.

Dante handed Drystan his horse's reins. "Be careful, brother."

"You have more than your mate to return to," Draco reminded him.

Drystan grabbed the reins and gave them a small smile. "I know. I've already promised Melora that I'll return to her. Do I need to promise you two as well?"

"Promise us that you will be safe, Drystan," Dante answered as he rolled his eyes. "We'll be right behind you."

Drystan gave the brothers a tight nod before swinging his leg over his horse. He was about to turn to leave when Carwel came running up to him. "Have you changed your mind?" Drystan asked him.

Carwel stopped and shook his head. "I just wanted to tell you to be careful, Drystan. We'll be behind you, but if anything happens, we won't be able to help until it's too late."

Drystan took a deep breath and immediately began searching his mind for Melora. She had been getting good at remaining in his mind without him knowing, but he didn't feel her presence. He had talked to her about not being in his consciousness while he was gone. He didn't want her to witness the horrible things he would have to do. Thankfully, she was listening to him. Right now, at least. "I understand, Carwel."

Carwel placed a hand on Drystan's horse's neck and gave it a quick pat. "Just be careful."

Drystan gave him a tight nod before turning his horse around and heading into the woods. He knew that Alathic was going to be waiting for him. Drystan just had to find where his father was hiding. Over the past couple of days, Drystan had been looking over the map in Carwel's tent, studying the red marks where Alathic's army had been attacking. On the map, Drystan found that there were a cluster of attacks closer together. He believed that somewhere in that facinity, Alathic was hiding. The location was a little ways away from the compound but still close enough that it worried Drystan.

Drystan had wondered after seeing that cluster that Alathic knew where they were. Maybe this is a trap, he thought to himself. That thought came too late. If it truly was a trap, it was too late to turn around now. He needed this fight to end. His hands tightened on the reins as shadows passed quickly between the trees on either side of him. Alathic had a bigger army than them, but Drystan and them were hungrier.

Drystan knew that he was getting close as the smell of blood and death assaulted his nostrils. His breath was lodged in his throat as he came upon a scene of pure death. A huge chunk of the forest was cut and burnt down. Smoke filled the air, filling the area with a sense of dread. On either side of him, bodies were piled into pits. He was met with the smell of burned and charred flesh. The faces of the poor victims were forever etched in pain.

"The prodigal son returns," Alathic sneered.
Drystan stopped his horse a couple of feet away from his father. The smoke was so thick Drystan would have ran into him if he wasn't paying attention. Alathic's red eyes shone through the smoke. Drystan looked around him and noticed that he was now surrounded by Alathic's army. Hundreds of red eyes shone menacingly around him. Heavy breathing and guttural noises were heard from the horrific creatures.

Alathic began to chuckle. "Are you here to give me back my bride? Did you finally come to your senses?"

Drystan turned his attention back to his father. "You know the answer to that question, Alathic."

"I believe I do," Alathic sighed. "Unfortunatly that's the wrong answer." The sound of metal being unsheathed scraped Drystan's ears. Drystan quickly got off of his horse and stood with his hands on his swords. "Listen to me, you minions!" Alathic's voice boomed. "This fight is between me and my son! Do not interfere unless told otherwise." Alathic's red eyes pinned onto Drystan. "His blood is mine."