Chapter Twenty - Drystan

Drystan looked down at Melora and started to tremble. He couldn't feel her presence through the mate bond. He had just caused his mate the worst pain she would ever experience. 

He had hurt her. 

He had hurt the woman that he loved. 

Alathic's venom tasted horrible when he was sucking it out of Melora's body. He quickly spits it out onto the floor. He watched as it seemed to hiss and disintegrate into the floor. 

The door flew open and Carwel flew into the room. He stopped at the side of the bed and bent down to listen to Melora's breathing. Drystan found himself frozen in place. He wasn't being who he wanted to be for Melora. He was scared. He was weak. He didn't know if he could penetrate his venom into her knowing that he was going to be causing her more pain once again. 

"You have to continue, Drystan," Carwel urged Drystan. "You need to put your venom into her now."

Drystan sat up, straddling Melora's waist, and shook his head. "I can't. I caused her pain, Carwel. I can't continue."

"It has to be you, Drystan," Carwel urged him again. He placed his hands onto Drystan's shoulders and gripped them tightly. "You have to bite her. You have to change her."

Drystan shook his head again. He looked down at Melora, once again reaching out for her through their bond, but getting no response. "She's human again. She's going to stay human." His eyes snapped up to look at Carwel. "I can't be the reason that she becomes a monster like me."

Carwel's eyes softened at his words. "Drystan," he started slowly. "She can't remain human. Her body has already been hurt by Alathic's venom. If she isn't changed," he trailed off. 

"What?"

"Drystan. If she isn't changed," he started to trail off again. "She dies."

"Get out," Drystan growled. 

"I'm telling you the truth," Carwel stammered as he backed up. 

Drystan got off of the bed and stalked toward Carwel, backing him up to the door. "Get the fuck out of my house."

Carwel grabbed the handle and opened the door. "I told you the truth, Drystan. You have to do it." He motioned to Melora. "For her." He quickly closed the door before Drystan could say anything again. 

Drystan ran his hand through his hair roughly as he turned back toward the bed. His feet moved on their own as he found himself back beside the bed. He straddled her again and placed a gentle kiss on the crook of her neck. 

"Please," he sighed. "Forgive me for making you into a monster, my love." He placed another kiss on her smooth skin. "I love you," he croaked before he sank his teeth into her neck. 

The taste of her blood on his tongue was intoxicating. He still loved the taste of her, even though he had to stop. He swallowed her blood as he moved his fangs deeper into her neck. He winced as he felt the venom in his fangs seep out and go into her body. 

Again, there wasn't any movement coming from her body. He was afraid that he had done something wrong. That she wouldn't wake up. That he would never hear her voice again. His heart was beating fast as he swore he saw her head twitch. He wanted to stop but knew that he couldn't. He had to continue to inject his venom into her body. He was almost done. 

Finally, he released her neck and sat up. The wound on her neck disappeared. He waited patiently for any sign of movement from her, but nothing happened. She didn't move. 

"Melora?" he choked. He leaned down and gently moved his fingers over her lips and into her hair. "Melora," he tried again. "Please, my love, wake up. Wake up for me. Please." He moved off of her and laid down next to her. He continued to stroke her hair, praying to whoever would listen to him that she would wake up soon.