Chapter Twelve - Melora

Her body rocked to the movement of the carriage. It had been three days since she was taken from Drystan. It had been three days since the pain in her lower stomach started to form. She was able to alleviate the pain, but she needed Drystan. Even when she would reach out to him through their bond, it wasn't enough. 

Drystan was her mate. He claimed her. 

Her hand reached up and touched the spot where he had bitten her. Her body filled with excitement as she remembered the feeling of his fangs inside of her. She wanted him to bite her again. 

What if he was taking blood from another woman? she suddenly thought to herself. 

Melora, Drystan's voice flowed through her. His soft, patient voice calmed her of her wrong thoughts. I would never take the blood of another woman. I would never take another woman for as long as I live. You are my woman. You are my mate. Everything about your taste I crave. 

Melora smiled as she sent him a quick picture of where they were at. She wanted him to know where they were. She wanted him to know every single landmark that they pass. It would be easier for him to find her.

Drystan already knew where she was going. He was supposed to take her there in the first place. It still made her feel better when she would send the images to him. He never corrected her or reminded her how he already knew where to go. He just thanked her and reminded her that he was coming for her.

Melora didn't know whether he had already left or not. She knew that he was taken to his compound, but she didn't know where that was. She didn't know how far away his old home is from where she was heading.

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes as she sighed. Melora prayed that he would hurry. That she wouldn't have to be forced to marry this man. She hoped that he would get there and save her before. Not after.

Blinding pain went through her lower stomach. She doubled over and laid down on her side. She groaned as another slice of pain went through her. It's back, she cried out.

Melora heard Drystan groan through the bond. She had often thought that maybe he was feeling her pain as well whenever she did. He always sounded like he was in pain.

In a way I do feel your pain, Melora, he answered slowly in her head. She had forgotten that he could hear her thoughts. Whenever you're in pain I can feel it. It's not as strong as what you're feeling, but I can still feel what you're feeling. He took a deep breath as another wave of pain went through her. If any of them touch you, Melora, I will rip their throats out. She heard a deep growl penetrate her mind.

Melora should be afraid of his threat. She should be afraid of how violent he could get, but she never did. Whenever he threatened the men around them, she was never afraid. She felt safer. She felt loved. She knew what he was capable of and these men knew it as well. Melora never told them that he was still alive, but they would soon know.

Melora sat up quickly when she heard a knock on the carriage door. The carriage was still moving as a man opened the curtains and jumped through the window. He wasn't as graceful as Drystan was with his movements. The man sat down in front of her and took a deep breath.

Was he smelling her?

I swear to the gods above, Drystan growled.

Melora shrunk against the back of the carriage, trying to blend into the carriage walls. She watched the man carefully. He was dirty. Everything about him reeked. None of the men that surrounded her had good hygiene. Their hair and faces were always dirty. It was difficult for her to get a good look at any of them with all of the grime and dirt on their skin and clothes.

"No wonder that vampire claimed you," the man chuckled. His voice was dark. There was evil laced into his voice. Whenever Melora heard him speak, she had to control the urge to shiver in fear. Her body tensed up whenever he spoke. She grimaced as the man sniffed the air again. "Your smell is perfect. So delicious."

Melora pushed back again on the carriage wall. "I'd appreciate it if you would stop smelling me," she ordered him. She tried to keep her voice as strong as she could when she would talk to him. Never show them your fear. Once they know how afraid you are, they could control you. 

The man's yellow eyes snapped open and looked straight at her. He smirked as he leaned forward. "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't smell that good." His eyes started to roam her body. "It doesn't help that you look good enough to eat." His tongue snaked out of his mouth and slowly ran it over his lips. "I bet you I'd be better than that vampire."

"I highly doubt it," Melora snapped at him. 

The man's smirk changed instantly to a snarl. His nails grew into claws as his teeth grew sharp. "If I wasn't ordered to not touch you I would be making you regret that statement." He took a deep breath again, this time closing his eyes and forcing himself to relax. The claws and fangs disappeared back into his body. He took another deep breath. "I can still smell that fucking vampire on you. Our boss isn't going to like that." He leaned back and crossed his arms, looking smug once again. "He doesn't have to worry about that vampire anymore. He's dead."

Melora controlled herself to not blurt out that Drystan was still alive. She wanted to give Drystan as much time as she could for him to come and save her. This man didn't need to know that he was still alive. He didn't need to know that Drystan was coming for her. This man didn't need to know that Drystan would kill every single one of them once he found them. 

"We're almost there, Princess," the man spoke bringing her out of her thoughts. 

Melora's body slumped against the carriage wall. "We're almost there?" Drystan, he told me we're almost there. She tried to hide the fear in her voice but knew that he could hear every emotion that was going through her. 

I'm already looking for you, my love, Drystan's voice came quickly into her mind. I promise I will not let you marry that man. 

Drystan, she whimpered. What if you don't get there in time?

She heard a growl. I won't let you marry that fucking man. You're mine, Melora. He'll smell me on you and he'll try to claim you, but I will be there before he has the chance. If that man touches you I will personally cut his cock off and feed it to him.

He was mad. He was beyond mad. He was acting feral. 

"It's good that your mate is dead," the man continued. Melora had completely forgotten that he was talking. She returned her attention to the man, even though he didn't deserve her attention. "He'd be completely feral if he knew that you were with us. He'd be fighting his way through everyone just to get to you. People like me, werewolves, we aren't feral. We're more evolved." He looked at her and smiled. "I think that it helps that we don't live forever." His smile dropped suddenly. "Show me your neck."

"Excuse me?"

"Show me your neck," he repeated himself slowly. 

Melora shook her head quickly. "No."

The man's eyes turned dangerous as he lunged for her. He gripped her chin and roughly moved her head the way that he wanted. His other hand held onto her throat, locking her in place. His fingers traced along that spot where Drystan had bitten her. "Fuck. That's going to be a problem." He dropped her chin and sat back down on the opposite bench. "Boss isn't going to like that."

"W-what are you talking about?" Her hand moved to touch where he had just touched her. The spot felt dirty now. She felt dirty. 

Melora? Drystan's voice popped into her head, worry laced in his voice. What happened?

The man smirked. "He didn't just claim you, he marked you." He pointed to where her hand was at. "My boss is going to want to make that mark his. He's not a gentleman either."

What happened, Melora? His voice was a growl now. I can feel your fear, my love. 

I need you to hurry and kill them.