Chapter Three - Melora

Melora had woken up early the following day to an empty bed. She was curled up against a pillow, the blankets wrapped around her. Her heart sank as she sat up, thinking that Drystan left her and that last night was a big mistake. Her eyes searched her room before she found him. A breath was released as she spotted Drystan standing on the small terrace. Melora pulled her night dress off the floor over her head. She wrapped her arms around herself as she walked and placed herself beside him.

Drystan was already dressed. He was wearing his usual black long-sleeved shirt and matching-colored pants. Gloves covered his hands, and a hood was over his head, blocking his skin from the sun. Melora had never understood his decision, but she wouldn't question him. He didn't look at her when she stepped up to him, making her heart squeeze as she looked down at her feet.

"How are you feeling this morning, Princess?" his rough voice asked her.

Melora looked up at him quickly. Her eyebrows furrowed as she noticed that he still wasn't looking at her. He regrets it. "Good," she answered him quickly. She stepped closer to the balcony and placed her hands on the railing. She leaned over slightly and looked down at the land beneath them. She always thought that their land was beautiful when other people didn't. This was all she knew; she had never seen anything different. The land around them was barren. It was completely brown. No grass or any trees grew. They had to use land far away to grow crops for their food. Even then, it was sparse. Suddenly, she felt a large blanket being wrapped around her body tightly. Melora looked over her shoulder and saw Drystan standing close behind her.

Drystan's arms protected her as he tied the blanket around her front. "Your dress is thin, Princess." She adored the way that his arms held her.

"What did I say about calling me that when we're alone?" she asked as she lifted her chin at him.

Drystan shook his head as he chuckled. "I'm sorry." He finished tightening the blanket and stepped to her side. "I don't want anyone looking at you in that dress."

Melora looked up at him and shook her head. Her body instinctively leaned against him. No one walked around where they were standing. Her father had kept her bedroom out of sight from the rest of the clan. Another way to keep her in his control. She wasn't afraid of anyone seeing her or Drystan, but her heart warmed as she thought of his protectiveness over her.

Drystan wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her in front of him, his arms caging her body. Melora moved her body back and leaned against him. "You're mine, Melora," he growled lowly in her ear. A shiver raked through her body at his words. "Until I get you to your betrothed, you are all mine."

"Y-You'll be able to let me go after that?" she stammered as she closed her eyes. A familiar feeling from last night came alive in the pit of her stomach. Could she let him go once they got to the man she was supposed to marry? Would she be strong enough to control her feelings for him that day? Melora bit her bottom lip as a thought went through her mind. Could she convince him to stay with her?

"I'd have to, Melora," he answered dryly. He tipped her head to the side and ran his teeth over her neck, causing her to shiver in delight.

Melora's hands clenched in front of her as she felt a rushing heat further down her body. "When do we have to leave?" Her voice came out strained.

Drystan chuckled, his lips still on her neck. "Soon, Melora." He pressed a kiss to her neck before stepping away from her, squeezing her hips once. "We don't have time for anything."

Melora opened her eyes and turned around, disappointed. Her body felt cold when he stepped away from her. She wanted him to touch her again. She wanted to feel his body against hers again and was disappointed that they had to leave now. She moved her feet and caught up to him, standing by her suitcases. "How long of a journey is it to the man I'm supposed to marry?"