Chapter Fifteen - Melora

Melora shivered as she stood looking out the large window of her room. It was pitch black outside. She couldn't see anything. She knew guards were roaming around outside her window, but she couldn't see them. She was able to hear their footprints trudging through the snow. She was aware of where each of the guards was. She just wish that she could see them.

Melora turned around and ran her hands down the dress. Its black fabric hung close to her body. It was easy to move around in the dress, but she didn't like the way that it hugged her curves, leaving nothing to the imagination. Her brown hair was slicked back and hung straight down her back. Zaya had ruffly put a black chocker around her neck.

Melora reached up and touched the chocker. To her, this felt more like a collar. She wasn't going to be a high lady in this house. She was sure she was more of a pet.

She wished that there were sleeves to the dress. It was cold in the castle. She kept her arms wrapped around her as she continued to move toward the door. Stopping in front of it, she started to reach for the handle when the door flew open.

Melora jumped back before she could be hit. Another tall man stood in front of her, glaring down. Red eyes pierced into her own. Her shivering worsened as she felt pure fear fall over her body.

The man's nostrils flared and she knew that he was smelling her. A growl came from deep in his throat causing another wave of fear to flow over her.

Melora tried to contact Drystan again but didn't hear him. Again, there was no response.

"A-are you the Master of the h-house?" Melora forced herself to ask him.

The man slowly nodded. His eyes still held the same fierce, manic expression in them. "I was supposed to wait for you to come to me," his voice was deep. If Melora wasn't already terrified of the man in front of her and knew what he could do to her, she would have thought that his voice was soothing and attractive. Instead, it was terrifying. It was too calculated and calm for how he looked at her.

Melora couldn't help but take a step back. Her heart sank as he took a quick step into her room and shut the door, locking it behind him. She started to open her mouth, but quickly closed it.

"You reek of him," the man in front of her growled. "Don't try to deny that that bastard is dead. I know he's not. You're proof that he's still alive."

"W-what do you w-want with him?" Melora hated that she was stuttering, but she couldn't help it. She had never felt fear like this in her entire life.

The man started to chuckle as the redness in his eyes disappeared. "I want him dead, my lady."

Melora shook her head quickly. The back of her knees hit the side of the bed, stopping her. "I-I'm not your l-lady." She started to move around the man, hoping to get to the door, but he grabbed her arm.

"Yes you are," he growled. He roughly threw her onto the bed. "I bought you, Melora. You're mine. You're not that bastard's anymore." He still stood at the edge, looking down at her triumphantly.

Melora tried to move as far away from him as she could. She started to shake her head again when another growl came from the man.

"My name is Master Alathic and you will always call me Master," Alathic explained. "Nod if you understand, human."

Melora knew better than to disobey him. She nodded slowly.

Alathic smirked. "Good." He moved forward quickly and gripped her ankle, yanking her toward him.

Melora couldn't help the scream that came out of her mouth as he pulled her. He leaned over her, trapping her between his arms and with his body.

Alathic took another deep breath. He gripped her neck and pulled it over to the left, and ran his other hand over the mark on her neck. Her mark. Drystan's mark.

"Why didn't he change you?" he asked quietly. "He just claimed you." He chuckled. "I'm going to claim you now. Do you understand?"

Melora whimpered, "Please, don't."

"You're not his anymore!" Alathic yelled at her. "I bought you from your father. You're my property. You will produce me many healthy heirs. You will not belong to my son anymore."

Melora stopped struggling. "Son?"

Alathic growled. "Never talk out of turn." Pain suddenly went through her body as he sunk his fangs deep into her neck. Melora let out a painful scream as her body burned. A fire went through her veins and joints threatening to burn her from the inside out.

When he finally ripped his fangs out of her neck, she felt weak. He pushed off of her and wiped his mouth. Alathic smirked down at her and took a deep breath. "You will soon understand that what I just did was for the best, Melora. Soon, after our marriage, you will be joined to me. Forever." He straightened his clothes before turning on his heels and storming out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Melora didn't dare move. She lay there still for a couple of hours before she had the confidence to sit up. She was still extremely weak. He took too much blood from her. More than he needed. More than she was capable of giving.

He could have killed her.

He didn't care.

Melora shakily raised her hand and touched the spot where he had bitten her. Another wave of pain went through her body when she touched the spot.

He ruined her. He had to. She wasn't Drystan's anymore, but that was more painful than Alathic biting her.

Melora started to lay back down but stopped. In the dark corner of her room, three pairs of red eyes stared at her. Melora started to shake again as she brought her knees up to her chest. "D-Did Alathic send you t-to s-spy on me?" she yelled at the eyes.

"Melora," a deep, soothing voice called out to her.

Melora's body froze. "D-Drystan?"

Drystan stepped into the light. He looked dangerous. The red in his eyes never dimmed as they looked at her. His eyes raked over her body and stopped at the mark on her neck. "Melora," he said her name again.

"Drystan," Melora's voice broke as she felt tears threatening to fall out of her eyes. She scrambled off the bed and Drystan had to catch her from falling.

His strong arms held her up as he pinned her to his body. Her hands roamed over his chest, feeling the familiar muscles. For the first time in a week, she felt safe. She had her mate back. She leaned her head against his chest and breathed in his familiar scent.

"We've got to leave now, Drystan," an unfamiliar voice came from behind Drystan.

Drystan growled, "We're taking her with us." He turned around, keeping Melora tight against him.

Two men stood in front of them. The one on the right continued to talk. "This is a trap, Drystan. You know it."

"Dante," Drystan's voice was controlled. "I'm not leaving her now. I'm not leaving my mate with Alathic."

The man on the left studied Melora. She watched him take a deep breath. "Drystan-"

"I felt the pain," Drystan interrupted. "I know what he did, but that doesn't change anything. She is mine. She is my mate. I will never leave her side again."