Chapter Thirty-Three - Melora

Melora woke up and nuzzled her face into the crook of Drystan's neck. She gently ran her right hand over his injuries. They were healing quickly. The past couple of days, Alathic had left them alone. He would come in to taunt Drystan and would try to get her back into the castle, but he made a mistake.

Letting her get close to Drystan. He wasn't going to let her go now that has her back in his arms again, and she wasn't going anywhere now that she was with him again. Alathic hadn't dared touch her or Drystan the past few days, making his wounds heal faster. Melora could feel him getting stronger each day now that she was beside him. The chains around his wrists and ankles still rubbed his skin raw. She knew the pain wouldn't stop until they were off him.

"Stop worrying over me, my love," Drystan's deep voice brought her back to the present. He gently gripped her chin and brought her head up to look at him. "I'm the one who should be worrying about you."

Melora shook her head. "I'm fine, Drystan." She continued to run her hand over the burns on his chest. She jumped as the cell door opened roughly. Turning around, she watched as two tall men dressed in black walked into the room. Masks covered their face, but Melora felt as if she already knew who these men were. Drystan's arms tightened around her body and pulled her closer to him. His eyes were fierce as they bore into the two men.

"Hello, brother," a familiar deep voice chuckled once the door was closed. The man took his mask off as Melora smiled.

"You got my message?" she asked Dante.

Dante looked over and smiled proudly at her as he nodded. "Of course. My apologies that we took longer than expected." He pointed over to the other man. "Draco needed to ensure his mate was safe before we left."

Drystan's eyes furrowed as he looked at his mate. "You sent for them? How?"

Melora moved off of his lap and stood up. "There are more people in this castle that want Alathic dead than you realize," she answered him. "I had one of the guards who stayed outside my room send a letter to Dante and Draco." Melora motioned to the door as Draco went to keep a lookout. She looked back at Drystan as he stood up.

Drystan's eyes darkened as he looked her over. "My woman," he murmured loud enough for her to hear. "So many surprises." He wrapped an arm around her waist and flushed her against his chest.

"We've got to make this convincing, brother," Dante interrupted them. He took a deep breath. "We've got to take her with us. Alathic believes that we are a part of his guards. He has orders today to bring her back to her room."

"He can't stand that she would rather sit in a dungeon than be anywhere near him," Draco added. He looked over at them. "He's not very mindful of who he hires." He turned back and looked through the window of the door.

Drystan snapped his head up to look at them. "You've got to take her?"

Dante slowly nodded. "I'm sorry, Drystan. We've got to. Carwel is sending his people here to bring you back home."

"We came to keep an eye on you both," Draco added again, not taking his eyes off the door. "We have orders to ensure that both of you are still alive."

Dante held out his hand to Melora. "I'm sorry, sister."

Melora gave him a slight nod as she looked up at Drystan. His eyes were glued to Dante's hand as his arm tightened around her waist. "Drystan," she reached up and cupped his cheek, bringing his attention to her. "It's going to be alright. We've got friends here."

Drystan's jaw tightened. "I don't want you to leave again."

"I don't either, Drystan, but I have to. If I stay here, Alathic is going to continue to get mad. I don't want to lose you, Drystan," Melora's voice cracked.

"Brother," Dante interrupted. They both looked over at him. "We've got to get moving." His eyes traveled down to the silver wrapped around Drystan's wrists and ankles. "I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice sounding like he was in pain. "I should have been better prepared."

"I do not blame you, Dante," Drystan reassured him. "I do not blame Draco. Alathic fights dirty."

Dante nodded slowly. "I understand. I promise we will get you out of those chains."

Drystan smiled at him. "I know." Melora watched as his face dropped as he looked down at her. His arms loosened around her waist. Pushing her toward Dante's outstretched hand and giving him a firm look. "Don't leave her."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Dante answered him. He gently took Melora's arm and began to move toward the door. "Let's go, brother." Melora looked back at Drystan as Draco opened the door.

"I love you," her voice broke.

Melora could tell that the smile on Drystan's face was forced as he nodded. "I love you."

The door closed, separating her again from her mate. Her shoulders fell as she continued to walk in between Draco and Dante. "We're going to survive this, right?"

Draco looked down at her. "Of course, sister."

"We will protect him as much as we will protect you," Dante murmured to her. "We protect our family." They reached her door, and Dante reached out to open it. A slight growl escaped his lips as he stepped in front of her.

"You must be new," Melora heard her father's voice chuckle from inside her room.

Melora stepped around Dante, her eyes red as she glared at her father. He stood in the middle of her room, rubbing his hands as if he was nervous to see her. "What the fuck do you want? Why are you here?" she snapped at him.

Ba Coford started to step toward her but stopped short when she bared her fangs at him. "M-Melora," he stammered. "I'm sorry about everything. I am."

"If you were truly sorry, father, I wouldn't be here," Melora growled, her hands turning into fists.

"My daughter," Ba Coford started to beg. "I had no choice. Our people are starving, dying, Melora. Can't you understand that?"

"I can," she snapped at him. "I am not the one to blame for your mistakes, father. You had no right to sell me to an evil man. This would have never happened if you had cared for your clan." She crossed her arms over her chest. "Do you not remember the talk we had back at the compound? You had agreed that we would figure out a way to help the clan without selling me."

Ba Coford shook his head as his hands fell to the side. "I remember, Melora. I was never going to honor our agreement. My daughter, I had already taken the money that Alathic had given me for you." He took a deep breath. "I had already spent it. I just had to make sure to separate you from Drystan. I knew that if he were by your side, I wouldn't be able to get you back to Alathic." He stepped toward her, outstretching his hands. "Drystan isn't your mate, Melora."

"Yes, he is," Melora growled.

Ba Coford shook his head as he took another step toward her. "He brainwashed you, my daughter. Do you think I was blind by how he looked at you? I knew he wanted you from the beginning. He brainwashed you."

Melora shook her head as she took a significant step back. "You're wrong, father. He is my mate. I am drawn to him as he is to me." She cocked her head to one side. "How did you know where I was?"

Ba Coford's eyebrows scrunched together. "What are you talking about?"

"How did you know I had arrived at the compound?" she asked him again.

Ba Coford rolled his eyes. "You think that you could hide from me? Your rank doesn't allow you to hide. No matter where you go, there will always be someone who will report back to me to let me know where you are."

Melora straightened. "You gave Alathic the coordinates?"

Ba Coford shrugged his shoulders. "I had to pay a debt to Alathic. He wanted you; I needed money. I gave him the coordinates so he could figure out a way to separate you from Drystan." He snorted. "He's clever; I'll give him that."

"How long had you been planning on selling me to Alathic?" She felt sick to her stomach. She had always thought that her father had once cared for her. He didn't know how to show it, but she knew now that she was wrong. He was a greedy, fucking, bastard.

Ba Coford gave her a blank stare as he raised his chin. "Since I found out who Drystan truly was."