Chapter Twenty-Two - Melora

Melora's father stood to the right of Carwel. He wore his usual brown armor as he scowled at her. His arms crossed over his chest as his eyes snapped up at Drystan. "You disobeyed my orders, Drystan."

The grip Drystan had on her shoulders tightened. "I couldn't go through with taking her to Alathic. You know what type of monster he is," he growled. 

Ba Coford scoffed as he rolled his eyes. "Aren't you the same? I hired you because of what you are, Drystan. I hired you because no harm would come to my daughter if they knew that a monster stood behind her."

Melora couldn't help but stiffen at her father's words. If he thought that Drystan was a monster, he was going to think the same about her now. She started to open her mouth when Drystan interrupted her.

"I am not the same as my father," Drystan growled. Melora was flushed to his chest and could feel the growl reverberating in his chest.

Ba Coford scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry, Drystan, but you are." He looked around the room and raised his hands. "No offense to the rest of you, but you all are monsters. You drink human blood."

"They drink animal blood," Melora huffed. Her hands clenched into fists at her sides.

Ba Coford's eyes snapped over to his daughter. "What did you say?"

"These people drink animal blood, father," Melora repeated herself. "The monsters you are referring to are the ones that drink human blood. Alathic is a monster, father. You sold me to a monster." She relaxed as she felt Drystan's arms wrap around her waist, pulling her closer to him. 

"How did you know that we were here?" Drystan asked roughly. 

Ba Coford's eyes traveled down to where Drystan's arms were and narrowed. "What have you done to my daughter?" his voice was full of venom. 

"One of our monsters asked you a question," Draco sneered. "Answer him first." He bared his vangs. 

Ba Coford shook his head. "Fine." He turned his attention back to Drystan and Melora. "I got a message from Alathic," He moved his disappointed gaze over to Melora. "Remember your husband?"

"I never married him," Melora reminded him. "He's not my husband."

Ba Coford shrugged his shoulders. "That's true that there wasn't a ceremony, but you are his wife. You're his wife, Melora. Whether you agree with it or not."

Melora shook her head. "You sold me to him, father. Are you in that much trouble that you have to sell me?"

Ba Coford looked over Melora's shoulder at Drystan before he answered. "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

Be Coford walked over to a small stool and sat down. His hand motioned for Melora to move closer to him, but she stayed where she stood. She didn't want to be near him. She didn't want to leave Drystan's side. Ba Coford, seeing that she wasn't going to move, sighed. "I had to give you to that monster because of what he could do for our small kingdom. You've seen the way that the land has been looking, Melora. You know as well as I do that we are running out of supplies."

Melora shook her head. "We are not. Besides, there were other ways of providing resources for your people without selling your only child. Your only daughter."

Ba Coford shrugged as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "There might have been, but it doesn't matter. I had made my decision. Alathic's offer was more than generous to have your hand in marriage. He was promising me my people's safety and supplies to keep us comfortable for generations."