Chapter Twenty-Seven - Drystan

Drystan held onto Melora's hand as they moved through the compound. He didn't like the amount of attention that was on her. He wanted to pick her up and take her back to their little house, but Carwel's order was firm. Carwel needed both of them. 

They stopped in front of the door to Carwel's war room. Drystan knocked three times and waited. For a split second, he thought he might get the knock wrong, but the door opened. Dante stood there, a grim look on his face. 

"What's wrong?" Drystan asked. 

Dante motioned them in without saying a word. He shut the door behind them. Carwel stood at the other end of the room; a long table sat between them. Drystan noticed how tired Carwel looked. He seemed pale, as if he hadn't fed in a while. "What's going on, Carwel?" Drystan's grip on Melora's hand tightened as he pulled her closer to him. 

Carwel slowly looked up at him. "He's close."

"What do you mean?" Drystan looked at Dante for more explanation, but he didn't get anything from him. 

Carwel shook his head, his expression one of pure pain. "Before the sun rose this morning, a group of women went out to feed. They should have remembered always to take one of the male warriors with them, but they didn't." He took a deep breath, his fingers running through his hair. "Three heads were returned to the front of our compound."

Drystan's arm snaked around Melora's waist and pushed her behind him. His whole body was now on high alert. He could feel through the connection with Melora that she was scared. Her body clung to his. "He knows where we are."

Carwel nodded. "Yes. He's hurt our women and brought them back to the compound." He took another deep breath. "He wants us to start the war against him."

"Are we?"

"If we start the war, other families will come after us," Draco spoke beside his brother. "We can't afford to have other families against us now." He paused, looking at everyone in the room, but his eyes stopped on Melora's face. "I want justice for the women Alathic no doubt tortured and murdered, but we can't go up against him without the other families at our side."

Drystan nodded slowly. "I agree. We're too small of a compound to go up against Alathic's army."

"What do you suggest for me to do?" Carwel asked impatiently. "Let my people constantly live in fear. They aren't able to go out and feed without having to watch their backs. Some children need to feed more, and I don't want them out of the compound." His eyes snapped over to Melora's. They softened as they looked at her. "We protect everyone in here first and foremost." He turned his attention back to the men around the table. "We will be on defense, understood? No one will initiate anything against Alathic until he attacks the front of the compound." He paused. "Is that understood?" 

Everyone around the table hesitated until they finally nodded in agreement. "Good," Carwel straightened. "There will be guards posted at every entrance and exit of the compound. Every capable male will be in a rotation. Is that understood?" Everyone, again, nodded. "Remember, we are on the defensive side. Dante, Draco. You two are the first on guard." Carwel sat down in his chair, once again looking tired and pale. "Now, everyone, leave me be."

Drystan was quick to obey. He pulled Melora out of the war room. He stopped quickly and pulled her into him. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, not wanting to let her go. He couldn't help but think what would have happened if it had been them out there when Alathic decided to attack. For now, he would be going out alone and feeding them. 

"Drystan," Melora's soft voice rose to him. Her hands pushed against his chest lightly, making him create just enough space so he could look down at her. "I know what you're thinking."

"You do?" 

Melora nodded. "You think loud."

Drystan couldn't help the small smile spreading on his face. "I want you safe, Melora. Please listen to me and do what I say. Alright?"

Melora nodded. "Okay, Drystan." Her head turned sharply to look at the brothers walking toward them. 

"We convinced Carwel to let you have guard duty on the next light," Dante told him. 

Drystan's eyebrows furrowed. "He wanted me to do it tonight?"

Dante shrugged. "We told him you wouldn't leave Melora's side at night. Not until she's used to staying awake for days on end. He agreed to let you have the next light instead."

Drystan gave them a thankful smile. "Thank you."

Draco clasped his shoulder. "Of course, brother." He smiled at Melora. "We'll see you both later."

Drystan watched them walk toward the entrance of the compound before turning and walking back to his home. He kept Melora in front of him while they walked, not wanting to let her out of his sight. Once they got to the house, he opened the door before pushing Melora against it. He crashed his lips onto hers. He couldn't help himself. He needed her right now. He needed to know that she was safe and that touching her would help him. 

Melora's hands moved underneath his shirt, her fingertips touching every scar on his chest. She moaned into his mouth as his tongue shoved between her lips. "Drystan," she moaned out as she pulled away slightly. 

Drystan ran his teeth down her neck, finding her sweet pulse. "I've got to taste you, Melora." That was the only warning her gave her before he sunk his teeth into her neck. He couldn't help the moan from his mouth as he tasted her sweet, intoxicating blood. He loved the way that she tasted. Everything about her was lovely, and he loved it. He wrapped his arms underneath her ass as he lifted her into his arms, her legs automatically wrapping around his waist. 

"Fuck," Melora moaned. She tugged at his shirt, but he wasn't done tasting her.