Chapter Fifty-Two - Drystan

The next couple of nights passed by slowly for Drystan. Most of his time was spent in Carwel's war tent, reviewing strategies for whenever Alathic's army decided to attack. Drystan didn't believe it wise to wait for Alathic to strike first. He had voiced his opinion, but Carwel quickly shut him down. Carwel thought that he was too ambitious and only thinking about Melora. Of course, he would only be thinking about his mate. Why wouldn't he be thinking about destroying everything that was threatening her? Drystan resorted to shutting his mouth and lounging back on a chair.

"Are you even paying attention, Drystan?" Carwel sighed once again.

Drystan crossed his arms and lifted his eyes to meet Carwel's staring at him. One of his eyebrows was raised as he repeated his question. "I am," Drystan growled. He leaned back further in his chair and resisted the urge to sneer at the man who saved him.

Carwel gave him a stern look. "Would you mind giving us your opinion on our discussion?"
Drystan took a deep breath as he stood up and stalked over to the table they were standing around. He looked down and sighed. "You know my opinion, Carwel."

"We cannot afford to be rash, Drystan," Draco commented slowly. He understood more than the others what Drystan was feeling. He had a mate to worry about himself, but he had years to control his protective instincts. Draco made eye contact with Drystan before motioning to the table. "Alathic has no pattern with his attacks."
Drystan shook his head. His eyes roamed over the red 'x's marked over the map on the table. "Alathic always has a pattern."

"Do you see one?" Carwel asked him. His voice held a stain of annoyance in it. "If you know what his pattern is, please tell us." He crossed his arms over his chest. "We have been studying his attacks over the past couple of days, and there is not one attack that shows us his pattern. This is why we cannot be rash in our attacks against him. We cannot afford to lose another man until we figure out what his thought process is."

Drystan shook his head again, pinching the bridge of his nose. "He's wanting us to be rash," Drystan admitted slowly. "While I loath the idea of waiting and not attacking, I understand why we must wait." He looked up and met Carwel's eyes. "I do understand, Carwel."

Carwell took a deep breath. "I understand you wanting to protect your mate, Drystan, but we have to also think about the rest of our people. Alathic wants everyone who disagrees with his views dead. If he wins, the world is doomed to his wrath."

"I understand, Carwel," Drystan repeated. He motioned to the table. "It's unusual that he isn't using a pattern to his attacks."

"He's mad," Dante chimed in.

Draco gave a sharp laugh and shook his head. "He's more than mad, brother. You stole his bride."

Drystan's head snapped up to glare at Draco. "She wasn't his bride."

Draco smirked at him. "He thinks she is, Drystan. He paid for her, and you stole her from him. Of course, he's pissed." He raised a hand when Drystan opened his mouth to counter him. "We know that she is your faithful mate, Drystan. There is no denying that. No one in this room is denying that."

"Maybe the reason that there isn't a pattern that we are seeing in his attacks is because there truly isn't one," Dante said. "Your stealing his bride has caused him to rage."

Drystan took in a deep breath. "We need scouts, Carwel. I can go out and hunt him."

Carwel shook his head. "No, Drystan. The last time you were sent out, we lost you to Alathic. We're not risking that again."

"He wants me, Carwel." Drystan rolled his shoulders, trying to move the tension out of his muscles. "In his sick mind, once I'm dead, he can have Melora. Let me go out and lure him here."
"He'll be surrounded, Drystan," Draco advised. "He may be in a rage right now, but he's not an idiot. He knows how much you want to kill him. I'm sure that he's betting on the fact that you would do as you want and go after him yourself. We are not going to let you kill yourself. You have a mate to protect and survive for, remember?"

Drystan sighed. "Yes, I remember, Draco. If he's expecting me, why don't we give him what he wants?"

Draco shook his head. "No, we can't."

"Actually," Carwel drawled out.

All three men snapped their heads over to Carwel. "You cannot be serious," Dante laughed. "You just said we wouldn't let him go out alone."

Carwel shook his head. "He wouldn't be going by himself." He looked over at Drystan. "After thinking about what Drystan has said, it could be a good idea. We'll send our army behind Drystan, letting him be so far ahead that it would seem he was alone. Lure out Alathic and his army and attack." He paused while rubbing his chin. "This could work."

"What if this backfires on us?" Draco challenged. "What if our army is too far behind, Drystan? What if Alathic can lure Drystan away from us so we aren't there to protect him or help?"

Carwel took in a deep breath. "Do you have any other ideas? We haven't been able to develop any other ideas since we've been here." He pointed to the map on the table and glared at Draco. "All of those red marks are deaths that are on my hands. If we continue to wait here, there will be more. Any ideas are welcomed, but this is the only one mentioned that could have a good outcome." He sighed. "We have to try, Draco. This could be our only option." He stared at Draco, waiting for him to counter, but he never did. "Good." He turned to Drystan. "You might want to let your mate know the plan."

Drystan nodded as he turned on his heals and quickly walked out of the tent and into the night air. He took a deep breath before almost running to the tent he shared with Melora. He opened the flap, finding her wrapped tight in a blanket staring at him. His breath caught in his throat as he looked at her. He knew that she was angry with him, he could see it in her eyes and her body language, but he couldn't help but still see her as the most beautiful woman that he has ever seen. He closed the flap and dropped to his knees in front of her. "You know?" It was more of a statement than a question.

Melora slowly nodded her head. "I've learned how to hide in your head."

Drystan couldn't help the pride swelling in his chest and a smile forming on his face. "Then you know I have to do this."

Melora nodded again, pulling the blanket tighter around her shoulders. "I know. I don't want you to go, but I know."

"I-"

Melora quickly covered his mouth with her hand, silencing him. "I know, Drystan. I know what you have promised me, but you can't blame me for worrying about you. Alathic wants you dead so he could have me and that makes me worry. Just come back to me. Don't promise, but do it."

Drystan nodded as her hand left his mouth. He quickly grabbed her wrist and pressed a kiss against her palm. "I will, my love."