Chapter Thirteen - Melora

Melora's heart dropped as she felt the carriage jerked to a stop. The wolfman in front of her smirked proudly. He stood up and grabbed her hand, roughly yanking her out of the carriage. She sneered at the man as he continued to yank her down the long, poorly done path.

She snuck a glance around her. Everything was dark. Huge, trees blocked the sunlight that was trying to shine through. Dead, drooping plants surrounded them as they continued their trek up the path. The stones underneath her were broken. She had to be careful and watch her step. Already she had tripped over a jagged stone twice.

Melora made sure to send a mental image of the castle to Drystan. The black brick of the castle made it feel as if it loomed over her. It was as if the castle knew that she was doomed. That she would never come out of its doors alive again. That she would never see the beautiful sunlight again.

She would never see Drystan again.

I'm coming, my love, Drystan growled in her mind. Hearing his voice made her calm. He helped her continue to move behind the putrid wolfman.

The wolfman stopped abruptly in front of the large double doors of the castle. He knocked twice rapidly before a slit in the right door opened.

"What do you want?" a rough voice barked through the slit.

The wolfman jerked Melora forward, placing her in front of him. "I brought my Masters's prize."

Melora shuddered as a pair of red eyes peered down at her through the slit. A dark chuckle came from the creature on the other side. The slit slammed shut as the doors opened up. A tall man stood in front of them. He was taller than Drystan, practically towering over her. His skin was milky white, making the red of his eyes pop even brighter. His black hair was slicked back against his scalp. He was dressed in a powerful-looking black suit.

The man bowed dramatically at the waist as another chuckle left his lips. "Welcome to your new home, my lady." He straightened up and smirked at her. His nostrils flared slightly. His red eyes flared as he snapped at the wolfman still holding tightly onto her arm. "Who does she smell like to you?" His fangs lengthened as he snarled.

"I know, sir," the wolfman's voice trembled. Melora could feel him shaking. "I assure you the vampire is dead. There is no way that he can come back."

The vampire gave the wolfman a skeptical look before he reached forward and gripped Melora's left arm, pulling her to him. "For your sake, you better hope that he didn't come back." He waved his hand and slammed the doors in the wolfman's face.

Melora's heart felt like it was going to beat right out of her chest. She was afraid. She tried to reach out to Drystan, but couldn't hear him respond.

"I can hear your heart beating, little mouse," the man chuckled at her again.

Melora looked up at him and couldn't help but think of how handsome the man truly was. Were all vampires this handsome? she thought to herself.

The man dropped his hand and bowed dramatically again. "The name is Sir Serek." He straightened as he held out his hand. "I will take you to your room for you to freshen up."

Melora looked down at his outstretched hand. She refused to take it as she took a step back from him.

Serek rolled his eyes and smirked as he turned on his heels. "Very well. You are the lady of this castle now, I cannot make you do what you don't want to do." He started to move forward. "I'll lead you to your room."

Melora struggled to keep up with him. His long legs made her jog to keep up with him. She continued to try to reach out to Drystan, but again, she never heard anything from him. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to communicate with him again. Melora wasn't going to ask if there was some sort of protection over the castle. She didn't want any of them to know that Drystan was still alive.