Chapter Forty-One - Melora

Melora sighed contently against Drystan's chest as his arms wrapped around her tightly. She knew they needed to leave soon but didn't want to. She was happy. She was safe. Melora looked up at Drystan's face and smiled as his eyes met hers.

"I think it's time for us to leave this room," Drystan chuckled.

Melora shook her head as she brought her head back to rest on his chest. "I don't want to."

Drystan's arms tightened around her body. His hand traveled up her body and ran his fingers through her hair. "If I could, Melora, I would keep you here forever. I would keep you where no one could find us. People would finally just let us be happy."

Melora's heart hurt at the sadness in his voice. She sat up against him, running her hands up his chest. "We could hide until everything is over."

Drystan shook his head. "We've talked about this, Melora. We can't hide."

"I know," she sighed as she pushed against his chest and exited the bed. She shoved her legs into her pants and pulled them up. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're not, Melora." Melora heard Drystan getting off the bed before feeling his body heat against her back. His hands gently gripped her arms, rubbing up and down. "You're not going to lose me. I promise." He placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. "As much as I hate to say it, we must leave this room."

Once Drystan and Melora were dressed, they walked out of the room and met Dante and Draco in the middle of the cave, packing. "Are we leaving?" Melora asked as she wrapped her arms around herself.

The brothers looked up at them as they moved closer. Dante chuckled and shook his head. "Looks like they're finally finished." Draco chuckled as he stuffed a blanket into one of the packs.

Melora glanced up at Drystan as her cheeks reddened at their comment. He stood close to her as he rolled his eyes at the brothers. "We're leaving?" he asked them again.

Dante wouldn't wipe the smirk off his face as he stuffed another blanket in his pack. "Yes, we need to leave." He held up two bags next to him for them to see. "Alathic's troops haven't been around here."

"What if they show up when we leave?" Melora asked as her body leaned into Drystan's. Drystan's arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer. A deep rumbling in his chest helped comfort her.

"They would have been here by now," Draco added. He looked up at them. "We need to leave." He stood up and began to walk to the door.

Dante threw the bags over to Drystan before he followed his brother. Drystan caught the bags effortlessly as he encouraged Melora to follow them.

I don't want to leave, Melora couldn't help the whimper that came through her head. She couldn't help the fear that went through her body at the thought of leaving the safety of this cave. She allowed Drystan to move her body to the door and led her through.

Three horses waited for them outside of the cave. She hadn't remembered seeing horses when they first came to the shelter but hadn't been paying attention. Draco turned to them and held out one of the reins to Drystan. "I stole them."

"Should have known," Drystan chuckled as he took the reins. He motioned Melora to hop on and followed suit behind her. Melora couldn't help but lean against his chest, relaxing into him as his arms caged her in. He leaned down, and his warm breath tickled her ear. "You're going to stay in front of me so I can keep an eye on you."

Melora chuckled as she looked up at him. "Like I'll go anywhere without you." Drystan chuckled as he straightened. He encouraged the horse to move forward and follow the brothers. Melora shut her eyes as she looked up at the sun. Drystan had made sure that her skin was covered entirely before they had left their room. The sun was high in the sky, making it easier for them to travel without Alathic's troops following them. I'm not a damsel in distress, Drystan.

Drystan's voice chuckled in her head. I know, my love, but protecting you is still my job. I am proud of what you have done for Alathic. When he came into my cell, dripping blood from his face, I couldn't control the bellowed laugh from my mouth. He leaned down and kissed softly on the top of her ear. My chest swelled with pride, Melora.

Melora leaned against him and closed her eyes. She could feel Drystan's mood change dramatically. She opened her eyes and looked up at him. What's wrong, Drystan?

I should have been there, Melora.

I was able to handle myself, Drystan. Melora looked back in front of them.

A low growl rumbled in his chest. I still should have been there, Melora. Instead, I was tied up. I felt weak, Melora.

Drystan, Melora sighed as she reached forward and gently touched the burns on his wrist. They were healing, but slowly. Extremely slow.

Silver hurts us, my love, Drystan explained as if he could hear what she was about to ask him. We can still heal from silver, but it can kill us. Vampires use silver as a torture method.

Do you think silver is what Alathic was going to kill you with?

Melora could feel Drystan shrug his shoulders. I don't think that he was going to kill me with silver. Alathic was using it as a torture method. It would have been long and torturous if Alathic had decided to use silver to kill me.

Melora hated that Drystan had endured so much pain the past few days. All because of her. She couldn't help thinking that if she had just obeyed her father and decided to marry Alathic, Drystan wouldn't be enduring so much pain.

Don't think about that, Melora, Drystan growled. I would have traveled the world to be able to find you. He placed another soft kiss on the top of her head. You were made for me, Melora. The fates made you for me and me for you.

Melora was silent for a few seconds before her thoughts moved to her father. Do you think Alathic would kill my father because we escaped? Drystan's silence made her nervous. She knew that she should hate him, but she couldn't. She was extremely angry with him, but he was still her father. She didn't want him dead.

It would be a long time before I will let you see your father again, Drystan growled.

Melora sat up straight at his comment. You can't order me around like that, Drystan. I'm mad at my father but will eventually want to see him again.

He was determined to sell you, Melora. He didn't care about how you felt or who he was selling you to, Melora. Drystan couldn't help the deep growl that came past his lips. If your father couldn't sell you to Alathic, he would sell you to anyone with money. If your father is alive, princess, he won't accept us.

Melora's body sagged against him. His right arm moved to wrap around her waist, bringing her closer to him. I understand that Drystan, but I don't want my father dead. He's the only family I have.

That's not entirely true, Melora. I'm your family now. He motioned to the two brothers in front of them. They're your family now. The vampires in the compound are your family. I understand, Melora, that you don't want your father dead, but I don't know if I could ever forgive him for what he had done to them. Especially you. He pressed his lips against her neck. I promise that no matter what your father tries to do, I will never let go of you.