jail birds

Today is the day Carl comes home! He called me last night and said he only wanted me to come and not to tell anyone else. He got out six months early for good behavior. As hard as I find that to believe, I'm not complaining. I've missed him.

"Hi baby boy." I say to him and hug him tightly, "You've gotten so big." I hold his head, "Jesus, cornrows?" I ask, "You like it, shawty?" He nods at me and gets in the car, "Shawty?" I mouth to myself as I get in my car, "So, I'm older now, been to prison. Lip still fucking up?" Carl asks, "Carl Francis, you are 13 years old and I'm almost 21, absolutely not." I say and take his hand off my thigh, he sucks his teeth, "What'd I miss?" He asks, "So fucking much." I say with a laugh, "That bitch Sammi called the MPs on Ian, he got out and went MIA with Monica, he's home now, refuses to take his meds. Debs is pregnant." "She's pregnant?" Carl scoffs, I nod, "Yup. You hungry?" I ask him, "Hell yeah. Popeyes?" He asks and I nod, "You got it."

++

I drop him off after eating and catching up; he's changed so much. "Sorry I can't stay, I have a class, you alright?" I ask him, he nods, "Thanks for being there for me." He says and we hug, "Be good okay? I love you." I say to him as he gets out of the car, "I love you too, Sadie." He smiles softly and goes inside and I drive off to school.

++

"Hey!" I hear a familiar voice call from behind as I walk through the student parking lot. I glance over my shoulder to see Max jogging over to me, "Oh, hey." My expression softens as I turn to face him, "Hey, you been avoiding me?" He asks, running his fingers through his hair, "No, there's just been so much going on. My little brother finally came home today and one of my best friends just left and just a shitshow lately in Sadie's world." I refer to myself in the third person, "Phew, that's a relief!" His hand slaps his chest, "Well, for me not you. Sorry that was shitty for me to say. I just meant I'm glad you weren't avoiding me." He rambles, "Max, it's fine. We're friends, we're cool. You did nothing wrong." I pat his arm in a friendly manner, "I have a class in a few, I'll see you around." I dismiss myself and he nods looking slightly upset, "See you." He says softly.

Of course I feel bad ghosting Max. Max was perfect; from personality, height, looks. He's amazing, but he's not Lip. Nobody will ever compare to Lip.

++

"Hey." I greet softly as I walk into Lips dorm, "My professor said I should consider teaching." Lip says as he is doing homework, "Debs is pregnant and Carl is back." I dropped the news on him after giving him a small kiss, "What?" He looks shocked, just then my phone rings; it's Mick, "One sec." I wave Lip off and answer the phone, "Hey jail bird, how's it going?" I tease him, "Fuck off Mitchell." "Miss you too, loser." I smile to myself, "Just wanted to call and check up on you, only other person that actually gives a fuck about me." Mickey confesses, "Thanks for calling, glad to know you're still alive. Thanks for taking the fall for me about beating her ass but sorry it got you in there." I sigh, "Eh, nothing I'm not used to, you need to finish school and buy Ian and I a house in return, got it?" He says, "I got it." I laugh, "Love you, Mitchell." He says to me, "Love you too, Milkovich." I say and the phone hangs up. "Jesus, it's so weird you being friends with a Milkovich." Lip shakes his head and goes back to homework, "Just as weird as it was to see you fuck one?" I tease, "Come on, let's go see Carl." I insist and he rolls his eyes at me and stands up, "Did you say Debs was pregnant?" Lip asks, "Yup." I say, popping the P as we walk down the hallway, "Jesus Christ." he mutters and rubs his face with the hand opposite to holding my waist, "Hi Uncle Lip!" I tease him and poke his abdomen, "Okay Auntie Sadie." He tickles me, "Enough!" I shout playfully then run ahead of him, "Beat you to the car." I call out and instantly I hear his footsteps right on my tail, "Gotta be quicker than that Gallagher." He says to me before picking me up from behind, "Gallagher?" I question, he hasn't called me that in years, "You've always been a Gallagher." He says to me with a smile before kissing me gently, sitting me on the trunk of my car, "Fuck in the car before we go home?" He mutters against my lips, "What are you waiting for?" I egg him on and a devious smirk grows on his face as we hurry into the car and get to work.