Chapter 52

Scott came in a lot during my hospital stay in an attempt to entertain me. We watched plenty of movies, most of them being comedy. He talked a lot sometimes and he had a tendency to ramble which was cute.

On this particular day he was talking to me about how he had become ant man when his phone started ringing. The ringtone was noticeably some sort of children's song likely from a TV show that I had never seen.

"Hold on, I have to take this," he said.

"Don't worry about it, you take it," I said and he accepted the call and held the phone out in front of him. I realized by a glance at the screen that it was a video call.

"Hey princess, what's up?" he asked.

"Hi daddy. I was wondering if I could come visit sometime soon?" she asked which caused me to frown. I didn't really know Scott too well, I hadn't even known he had a child. But I could imagine it would be hard having a child you couldn't see often because of lockdowns and a pandemic.

"Oh sweetheart," Scott responded in a tone that came off as trying not to seem sad. Being able to read his emotions of course I could tell he was feeling like his heart was being ripped out of his chest. "We are going to have to talk to mommy and my... boss and figure something out, alright?" he said.

"I could talk to Tony," I offered quietly, not wanting to interrupt but knowing that I had a better chance of catching Tony in a good mood than he did. He looked over to me briefly, confused, before turning back to his daughter. He didn't tell her about what I'd said and instead they moved on to discuss other topics for a little bit before she told him she loved him and hung up.

After the call was over he looked at me, "You really don't have to-"

"I have a better chance at catching him, Scott. And I can tell how heartbreaking it is for you being away from her." He smiled sadly. "What's her name?"

"Cassie," he said as his face immediately lit up and adoration soared in his chest. "She's... just the best," he told me. And so I encouraged him to tell me about her. We sat and talked about Cassie for hours and I could tell that even though he couldn't see her, just talking about her was enough to make his day better.

I planned in my head to ask Tony about protocols for letting Cassie visit. Maybe I could even convince him to let Angie visit but Cassie would be my first priority. I didn't know what it was like to have a child, and I honestly never wanted to have one, but I could feel what it was like to be without them through Scott. And even then, I knew I wasn't getting the full scope of what it meant to not be able to see your kid.