Chapter 46

"What do you mean she's not inhuman?" Tony shouted.

"Tony, calm down. Jemma just did the test, she doesn't control the results," Bruce said, trying to calm him.

"If she's not inhuman, what is she?"

"She never said she was inhuman. She used the word enhanced. It's possible she doesn't even know what she is," Bruce pointed out.

"If she's not inhuman, what is she? This isn't something that was... caused, like Bucky and I," Steve joined in. Bruce, Jemma, Dr. Cho and Tony whipped around to look at him in the doorway.

"Superhearing," Bucky reminded them from where he stood behind Steve.

"I don't know, but whatever she is, it's outside of my wheel house. There is nothing significant regarding her DNA at all. No scientific reason within my knowledge that explains her abilities whatsoever," Jemma explained.

"Thank you for trying, Simmons," Dr. Cho thanked her. Jemma nodded and headed out, deciding to go back to her own work since there was nothing that she could do. Bruce and Dr. Cho's phones both dinged at the same time and they pulled them out to review some test results.

"What? Am I reading that correctly?" Bruce spoke out loud, instantly causing everyone to worry.

"That you are..." Dr. Cho responded, seeming baffled in her own right.

"What?" Steve asked as he fidgeted nervously.

"Lets... gather everyone first. I don't want to have to explain this over and over," Bruce stated. And so that's exactly what they did. They all crowded into Ollie's room for the conversation, it only seeming right to be there with her.

"Okay, everyone. This is complicated, and Dr. Cho and I don't know exactly what it means, but please allow me to get through it all. And remember that Ollie has done this more than once and that she will very likely return to us," Bruce stated. Everyone nodded and told him to go on.

"As you all will recall, we ran a plethora of neurological tests on Ollie. The results are finally in. All areas of her brain that control her body are functioning perfectly. But everything that could be associated with thought or personality, they are completely blank. It is almost as if... if I believed in souls, it would seem that Ollie's has vanished," Bruce said.

Everyone broke out into commotion after that, all worrying about what this meant and if Ollie would be able to come back. Everyone wondered if this is the same thing she went through before, or if it was somehow different. Had they lost their Ollie forever?

Stephen stood still in the corner of the room, silently thinking. He blocked out everyone's commotion and wondered if she had traveled elsewhere, if he would be able to locate her.

"Alright," he stated. Everyone turned to look at him, shocked to hear him speak in a time of crisis. "It's my turn," he stated simply.