Chapter 87

"Heey, honeybee," I whispered as I looked down at Alonya. She looked so fragile...

"Belle," she responded, her voice wavering and confused. "You're... really here?"

"Yes, honeybee. I'm here. Mishka's here, too," I motioned over to her brother who seemed frozen in place. My mention of his name shocked him out of it and caused him to move to the bed. He very carefully took Alonya into his arms as he sat on the side of her bed.

"Hey there honeybee," he cooed. I gingerly leaned against the other side of her bed and tucked a strand of her hair behind her head.

"When did you-" she started but was cut off by coughs. I couldn't help but frown as I gently rubbed her arm.

"We got here yesterday, but visiting hours were closed," he supplied.

"I'm not looking too good, huh?" she meekly joked.

"You're doing just fine, honeybee," I murmured to her. Her curt, sarcastic laugh was brief as she smiled over at me.

"Liar," she smiled.

"You're always beautiful to me," I told her with a gentle gaze. She rolled her eyes but didn't fight back.

"Belle brought someone with her to look over your case," Mish told her and I looked up at him in surprise. I didn't think he'd tell her that.

"What's that, the millionth opinion?"

"He's a friend," I told her as I ran a couple of fingers gently through her hair.

"You think he has a shot?" she asked, and I looked down at her hands that were grasping Mishka's.

"Honestly? I don't know... but it's worth a shot."

"I just... I can't get my hopes up again," she croaked, and I could see the tears build in her eyes.

"Leave that to us, bee," Mishka whispered. Mishka and I spent an hour with Ally before I decided to trade out so Angie could come visit her. Mishka stayed in the room as I traded out. Angie hugged me tightly before heading in and I numbly walked over to Bruce.

"Do you think she has a shot?" I questioned. Bruce froze and then started fiddling with the clipboard in his hands as he looked down at it. Moments of silence passed as I felt the sadness and uncertainty radiate from him. I nodded solemnly. "Thank you for taking a look, Bruce," the words fell softly from my lips before I quietly wandered off, looking for somewhere to be alone.