Chapter 31

The next day I was expressing my worries regarding the press conference to Steve and Bucky, but both of them apparently seemed to think it was a great idea. I was frustrated that I couldn't seem to articulate my ideas on why I didn't think it was a good idea, and that no one seemed to see it from my point of view.

"C'mon, doll. You have to admit it would be a good opportunity to let your family know you're protected," Bucky tried.

"It would also let them know exactly where I am! Along with any of your guys' enemies!" I fretted.

"Darling, we'll keep you safe," Steve said calmly, trying to grasp my hands in his.

"You shouldn't have to!" I exclaimed, pulling my hands out of his and pacing back and forth. "This doesn't even make sense!"

"Doll, it's not like they're going to be kissing you on stage. You're going to be off to the side, and I can be there too. There will be some speculation on who you are but it shouldn't be too bad," Bucky tried again, looking between Steve and I with a worried glance.

"I'm a GIRL. And I'll be there with Tony!"

"How about you escort me onto stage then? You'll have no association with Tony," Steve tried.

"And then they'll be speculation on who it was on America's greatest bachelor's arm," I point out.

"Greatest bachelor?" Bucky questioned, but Steve shushed him.

"Then walk neither of us out there. Just be there. We can have it be you, Buck, and someone else if you want. They'll just think we're sticking together for some reason. They might be speculating more on why we're traveling as a pack than they would be on who you are," Steve countered.

"I... really don't think this is a good idea," I told the pair in a whisper.

"We will make sure you're okay, Ollie," Bucky said, moving towards me. "We're not going to put you in danger, Doll."

"On purpose."

"What?" Steve asked.

"You guys won't put me in danger, on purpose. But not everything is in your control, even if you are the avengers. You guys can't control everything," I pointed out. Bucky and Steve were quiet for a moment, and I started to feel horrible about this whole situation.

"I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said... that. I- you guys do your best," I started speaking brokenly.

"You're right, Ollie... you're right about us not being able to control everything. That is a very fair statement... but we will always protect you, darling. We wouldn't be backing this if we didn't think it was a good idea," Steve spoke up. I gave him a small, unconvincing nod.

"Just... let me think about it. But... I still really don't think it's a good idea."