Chapter 87

"Humare yaha, shaadi subha hoti hai gurudware me. Anand Karaj bolte hai. Haldi mehendi aur kafi rasme vaisi hi hoti hai lekin ek rasam hogi choode ki, phir shaadi wale din aapke gharwale aur humare gharwale ek duje se gale milenge, Milni bolte hai usko aur uske baad jaimala. Phir inhone 4 phere lene hai. Kadha prasad bhi dena hota hai, wo mai banaungi aur phir aakhir me langar." Harjot was telling Preeti and Neetu about the rituals in short that would be there at Punjab according to Punjabis. On the wedding day the groom and his baraat head towards the bride's home with pomp and vigour in the Punjabi tradition. Upon reaching the gurudwara, the milni ceremony takes place. They meet and greet each other and embrace and garland each other.

"Aap logon me hawan nahi hota? Sirf 4 phere? It's going to be different, I'm excited!" Akriti replied while an artist was drawing mehendi on her right hand.

"Nahi, both the families assemble in the presence of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. There is no agni. Phere jo lete hai na, usko humare me lavan bolte hai aur uske baad kirtan aur ardaas hota hai. Matlab pray karte hai." Shehnaaz answered. She was sitting across the ladies, letting artists draw henna all over her hands and feet. It had been around 2 hours, her feet were done while her hands were halfway through.

"Kuch saman lana ho toh bata dijiyega aunty." Neetu told Chachi, wanting to help her.

"Bilkul nahi! Aap sare ladke wale hain, aap logo ne sirf aana hai, khana hai aur shaadi enjoy karni hai. Maine already sare arrangements kar liye the aane se pehle, koi tension di lod ni." Harjot replied, as she waited for the henna artists to get done with Akriti so that she could get her mehendi done.

"Kaha hai tera hone wala pati? Ghar me dikh nahi raha hai?!" Neetu asked Shehnaaz, everyone was doing the last minute preparations for tomorrow, the big day. The sisters had been on their feet since morning to check up on the arrangements, attend the guests and carry out the rituals as well.

"Dost aa rahe hai uske, driver already Bua ji lekar gaye hai isliye airport lene gaya hai unko." Shehnaaz replied.

"Yeh Bua na! Aur Sidharth khud kyu gaya, Shonty ko bhej deta na!" Neetu rolled her eyes, looking for someone else to get the work done.

"Psst!" Akriti called Shehnaaz closer so that she could whisper into her ears.

"Kya?" Shehnaaz nodded.

"Aapka wo dost, Rizwan, is he weird or something? Kal mili mai usse, na koi Hi-Hello! Na khud ko introduce kiya, na kuch khaya piya! Bas aaya, suit diya aur chala gaya?" Akriti asked.

"He's not weird. Introvert hai." Shehnaaz chuckled.

"Hmm, but he's so cute! Sharmate khada hua tha aunties ke peeche, couldn't even ask them to give him some space." Akriti laughed, recalling yesterday's incident.

"He's not a fan of social occasions. Office me bhi, I'm his only friend!" Shehnaaz replied. It took a while for the bridal henna to dry enough so that the would-be bride could move around and have food, her Chachi fed her. Sidharth was getting an earful from his sisters for leaving the house without informing when he returned.

"Yeh kya kar rahi hai aap Chachi? I don't believe in-" He asked Harjot when she swooned her hand over his head that held a couple of dried red chillies.

"Shh!" Harjot shushed him, continued to ward off evil eyes from him and then went into the kitchen in order to burn those chillies.

"Nazar utar rahi thi, aise shaadi ke time ghar se bahar nahi nikalte. Nazar lag jati hai!" She replied, once done with her job. He obediently nodded, walking over towards his fiance to make it up to her now. He had met his friends after a long time and the 4 of them literally lost track of time as they were catching up.