Chapter 21

"Kya bana rahi hai?" Amrit hugged Shehnaaz from the side in the kitchen, standing next to her while she cooked.

"Matar paneeeer!" Her elder sister sang, replying.

"Arey waah! Meko bhook lagi hai, jaldi bana. Mai help kuch karu?" Amrit asked, resting her head on her sister's shoulder.

"Nahi, bas 10 minute aur. Everything's almost ready." Shehnaaz answered, moving away to grab something from the kitchen cupboard but her sister's grip didn't let her.

"Amrit?" She gestured to her to move.

"Huh?" Her younger sister stood there, dumb and still.

"Baba tu hategi tab toh mai jaldi kar paungi!" She replied.

"Toh chilla kyu rahi hai? Pyaar se bhi bol sakti thi." Amrit shrugged, stepping back and toying with the ladle kept on the counter.

While Shehnaaz got busy checking on the other dishes, Amrit began stirring the ladle into the frying pan and accidentally her hand came in contact with the hem of the hot handle. It was so hot that the girl jumped back, screaming in pain while her skin turned red.

"Kya hua? Dikha?" Shehnaaz ran towards her sister, alarmed and took her hand under running water immediately in the kitchen sink.

"Kya karti rehti hai tu? Bachpan ton laparwah, kadi wi dhyan nahi dida!" She scolded her, guiding her out of her kitchen and making her sit on the sofa.

"Madad karne di koshish kareya si. Kissi karde!" Amrit mumbled, looking at her sister with big puppy eyes and extending her hand forward.

Shehnaaz shook her head, kissed Amrit's hand and applied a burnol before returning to the kitchen to look after their dinner.

"Bohot tasty banati hai tu! Ye pulao bada sahi hai!" Amrit complimented, licking the food off her fingers one after the other and having a pretty satisfied smile on her face. Shehnaaz smiled, it had been a while since she had cooked so much for anyone.

"Tu khane ka kaise manage karegi? Khud toh kuch aata nahi hai." She inquired.

"Tiffin service, swiggy, zomato." Amrit shrugged.

"Puttu, sara time bahar ka nahi khana. Aur tiffin kaha se ayega, mujhe batana. Mai ek jagah janti hu jo simple aur ghar jaisa tiffin banate hai, wahi se leliyo." She replied.

"Tu Mummy na ban ab! Nahi khaungi daily bahar se." Amrit asked her sister to let her be.

"Vaise ye AC kuch zyada hi purana nahi hai? Naya lele na, ache se thanda bhi nahi ho raha room. Mai toh reh bhi na pau AC ke bina." She pointed out the window AC on the wall, its slightly yellowish shade made it obvious that the piece was old enough.

"Thanda kar toh raha hai, waise bhi zyada use nahi karti mai AC. Barish se mausam acha rehta hai, zarurat nahi padti." Shehnaaz replied, looking at it as well.

"Aur ye deewar! Sana, poori seelan hui padi hai, kaise manage kar rahi hai tu?" Amrit mentioned, the wall was soaked with moisture due to constant rain.

"Jaise hi barish band hogi, mai thik karwa lungi." Shehnaaz replied.  Soon they made their way to Amrit's apartment to drop her off after setting up the bed. The place was not very far from Shehnaaz's home and it was a good thing,both could come over whenever they'd wish to.

"Tera bed acha hai!" Shehnaaz commented, laying down on the soft cushiony mattress.

"Hmm, hai toh sahi." Amrit joined her sister there and hugged her.

"So ja yahi." She added then.

"Thik hai." Shehnaaz chuckled, even though she wasn't going to stay the night. Her house back there needed some attention and she had to go to work tomorrow.