Chapter 57

"Bete aapko khana banana aana chahiye, pati ko kitne kaam hote hai, kaam pe jana hota hai. Abhi toh dekho aapka ek baccha bhi aa gaya hai, kya dekhega bada hokar? Ma ne rasoi nahi seekhi? Papa uske sab kuch kar rahe hai, toh batao kya asar padega uspe?" Harjot asked Preeti and her question was followed by pin drop silence in the room.

Shehnaaz wished if she could just disappear into this air to hide from the embarrassment whereas Sidharth gave a smug look to his sister. Argue with that! He wanted to say.

"Aunty aapne ek baat sahi kahi, mere pati ko kaam bahut hota tha. But you know what, I'm so proud of him that he was so good at managing the house and work altogether. Isiliye maine uska kaam adha kar diya, office mai sambhalti hu." Preeti replied gently.

"Matlab? Ajay beta aap kaam nahi karte?" Harjot looked at Ajay confused.

"Poora ghar sambhalta hu aunty, kya baat kar rahi hai aap? I'm a homemaker now!" Ajay replied.

"Toh aap poora ghar sambhalte ho aur biwi kaam karke shaamko wapas aati hai?" Harjot was shocked, wondering how a man could stay home and let his wife work outside.

"Hanji." Ajay smiled.

"Aur Preeti bahar kaam pe jati hai?" Harjot still couldn't believe it.

"Ha, yahi toh maine abhi bataya. Aur rahi baat bacche ki, aunty I'm sure usko variety dekhne ko milegi." Preeti chuckled, looking over to her mother.

"Behenji aapko in sab se koi problem nahi hai?" Harjot asked Rita Ji.

"Nahi." Rita Ji shook her head.

How could they change the custom made trends in society? A man was supposed to work and earn for his family while his woman was supposed to cook. With time and urbanization, women might have started to work but how could she forget her duty and responsibility towards her home, her child and the kitchen.

"Lekin kaise? Aapka jamai kuch kaam nahi karta, sara din ghar pe rehta hai aur khana banata hai!" Harjot couldn't help but ask.

"Ye toh achi baat hui na, Preeti ko ghar ki tension nahi rehti." Rita Ji replied.

"But still! Log kya sochte honge? Aaj ke zamane me ghar jamai!" Harjot was going berserk.

"Chachi ho gaya na, jane bhi dijiye. Please." Shehnaaz finally spoke up, keeping a hand over her aunt's thigh. Her aunt was certainly overreacting and creating unnecessary ruscus, she was worried about facing the Shukla family after this eventful dinner.

"It's okay Shehnaaz, aunty sirf janna chahti hai." Preeti asked her to calm down.

"Haina aunty?" She asked Harjot.

"H..ha. Acha, maine aaj aap logo ko yaha bulaya taake hum bacchon ke baare me baat kar sake." Harjot replied, trying not to argue with her niece's in-law's family.

She could have showered them with a humongous lecture on what and how a perfect family in a reputable society should look like but she held herself back when she looked at her niece, whose marriage proposal was in the list of to do's recently.

Meanwhile Ajay in the background asked, "Ye kitne sawal puchti hai?" As he yawned.

"Jab tak samne wala jawab deta rahe." Sidharth replied, yawning along.

"I'm sorry Jeeju. I know Chachi is difficult to deal with." Shehnaaz added.

"Hey, you don't have to apologise darling." Ajay consoled her.

"Acha, teri ek behen bhi hai na?" Preeti asked, for a change of topic.

"Ha, Amrit. Uske office me client ke sath dinner tha toh nahi aa payi." Shehnaaz replied.