Chapter 49

"How's she?" Ajay asked the doctor who just walked out of Preeti's ICU ward the other day.

"She's still bleeding." The doctor answered.

"What? Whyyy?" Ajay was shocked that his wife was still bleeding.

"Due to Postpartum hemorrhage. It's a case of excessive bleeding in ounces more than usual, that is greater than 32 fluid ounces after delivery, regardless of whether it’s a normal delivery or a Cesarean." She replied.

"Come with me." She said, gesturing to Ajay and Sidharth to follow her to her cabin.

Postpartum hemorrhage was severe bleeding after giving birth. It's a serious and dangerous condition, even came out to be fatal to the mother or the infant. PPH usually occurred within 24 hours of childbirth but it can happen up to 12 weeks postpartum. When the bleeding is caught early and treated quickly, it leads to more successful outcomes.

"A mother's placenta attaches to the wall of her uterus and provides food and oxygen to her baby during pregnancy. After the baby is delivered, either normally or through a C-section, her uterus continues to contract to deliver the placenta. This is called the third stage of labor. Contractions also help to compress the blood vessels where the placenta was attached to her uterine wall." She explained to the men.

"Mam, lemme just tell you this right now. Hume kuch samajh nahi aa raha hai. Would you please cut the biology part?" Sidharth requested and saw the doctor glaring at them.

"Okay, what I meant was, sometimes, these contractions aren’t strong enough to stop the bleeding and since Preeti's delivery, she's lost large amounts of blood. It has caused a sharp decline in her blood pressure, which has restricted blood flow to her brain and other organs. This phase is called shock." She answered. The heck! The colour of their faces faded away like anything, worriedly.

"Mam, all I want is my wife to be fine. Wo hosh me kab aayegi?" Ajay asked. The man couldn't sleep at night when he didn't have his wife by his side, the night that was supposed to be celebrated on the arrival of his son was spent all alone, tensed and sleepless.

"Abhi kuch bata nahi sakte hum sir, we're trying our level best. Once her blood pressure stabilizes, I hope-" the doctor was replying when he interrupted.

"What do you mean by abhi kuch bata nahi sakte? You're a doctor! You're not supposed to hope!" Ajay stood up, losing his mind to the doctor's words.

"It's not like that Mr. Singh. The overall risk of not surviving a pregnancy-related complication is low. But women with chronic conditions such as cardiac disease or high blood pressure are at greater risk.." the doctor's sentence trailed off with that.

"Please mam! She just gave birth to our son, she cannot leave him like that. Wo baccha ye deserve nahi karta, so please doctor! Please don't say that, mai hath jodta hu aapke aage. Please save my Preeti." Ajay had joined his hands in front of the doctor, begging her to treat his wife and save her. He was sure he'd die if Preeti won't be able to make it through but more than that he was worried about their child. Their baby who hadn't seen his mother yet and there was probably that wouldn't be able to see her.

"Mr. Singh, aap hath mat jodiye. We're trying our best. The haemorrhage has caused a sharp decline in blood pressure, which can restrict blood flow to your brain and other organs. This can lead to death, I'm sorry, I won't lie to you guys here. But I promise, we'll try our best." She explained how the situation might go out of her hands but being a doctor, she had vowed to give her all to treat the patient.

"Nahi mam, mai apne bete ko akele nahi lekar jaunga yaha se. Please, for the sake of the one day old child. He needs a mother! Please mam aisa mat boliye." Ajay broke down, scared even at the thought of losing his wife in the battle.