Chapter 86

Shehnaaz did a solo performance as well, it was kept a secret from everyone Amrit who had helped her prepare it. Some of her friends were also invited, Mary aunty, Meera, Vicky and Rizwan.

Sidharth couldn't help but blush when she winked at him from the stage in front of everyone singing, "Tapti dopeheri si, ladki gilehari si. Meri jaisi chahiye, tere jaise ko!" And danced like no one was watching her except him.

"Haye, kaise naach rahi hai sasural walo ke samne! Ye kudi bhi!" Shehnaaz's Mami awkwardly spoke.

Rita ji took out the biggest note from her purse, swinging it over her head from a distance and gave it to one of the guys who were handling the music system to ward off evil eyes from her daughter in law and so did her Chachu.

"You're a complete package! Chhota pataka, bada dhamaka!" Shonty complimented when Shehnaaz stepped down the stage.

"Haye, thank you!" She giggled and panted, tired of back to back performances.

"Chal khana kha le, dinner lag gaya hai." Sidharth told her as he handed her a glass of water. The entire family had dinner together while Sidharth's relatives made a few attempts to know more about the bride's family.

"Maine toh Rita se bol diya tha, family me sare businessman hai. Bahu bhi kisi ache aur bade ghar ki honi chahiye, ha! We've never really been a part of mediocre jobs, you see. And I'm glad they found someone like Shehnaaz, dress designer! I'm very impressed!" Sidharth's Bua spoke while the rest of the family passed apologetic smiles awkwardly.

Nobody paid attention to her words and carried on with their dinner, Shehnaaz tried her best to not let it affect her. She joined the youngsters at the terrace after the meal for their party as per the plan and the guests began to leave with time.

"Dekhiye meri baaton ka galat matlab na nikalein, mai toh working ladki chahti thi apne bete ke liye. Aaj kal ki ladkiya kaha ghar baithna pasand karti hai?!" Bua added a little later and it eased Harjot into the conversation.

"Hanji, meri toh dono betiya kaam karti hai. Thik keh rahi hai aap" Harjot said with a smile.

"Vaise aapne len-den ki baat kar li Rita se?" Bua asked again.

"Ji baat nahi hui hai, lekin hum ready hai. Jitna ban padega karenge apni beti ke liye." Harjot replied, even though Jagjit didn't like the idea he didn't say a word.

"Didi, aap kya bol rahi hai? Harjot, aap bhi kyu bhala ha bol rahi hain! Hum kuch nahi lenge aapse." Rita ji immediately interrupted.

"Mujhe pata tha, I knew you wouldn't have said anything so I brought this up!" Bua replied.

"Didi, na humne Preeti aur Neetu ke time pe kuch diya tha, na abhi lenge. Please don't say anything that'd make anybody uncomfortable." Rita ji mentioned in a tone that was a clear hint to the rest of her family as well and took Bua away from the living area.

"Koi uncomfortable nahi hota, ache khase ghar ke toh lagte hai!" Bua shrugged.

"I'm not going to allow it. So please!" Rita ji replied in finality and the topic was dropped.

"Mai thoda walk karke ke aata hu." Jagjit told his wife and went out for a stroll. He was going towards the lawn when he heard people shouting from the terrace area and decided to join them for a change of mood.

"Shots! Shots! Shots!" Shonty and Anni were rooting for the couple as Shehnaaz and Sidharth gulped down their drinks from a very small glass and then sucked on a slice of lime.

"Ahem!" Jagjit cleared his throat and there was pin drop silence followed by his appearance.

"Chachu." Shehnaaz mumbled, afraid he'd tell his wife about the after party.