5 0 0

song rec : sanctuary (joji)

yeonjun drives them to niki's house, while music plays softly- making for the perfect background noise. janelle sits rather quiet, her gaze focused on the passing scenery. every now and then the boy peeks over at her. he can't help but wonder what goes on in the brunette's mind when she's silent. and maybe that's due largely in part because whenever they're around each other they're usually taunting or joking with one another.

this is different but he doesn't hate it. he just hopes that her silence isn't a reflection of her discomfort. but like she can read his thoughts, her head of curls turns. her large eyes slide to gaze upon his side profile and a tiny smile - almost shy even - appears on her glossy lips.

"i just realized this is probably the longest we've gone without arguing over something stupid."

yeonjun's dark eyes slide over to her. his heart lurches at the innocence on her face. "you're right. weird"

"i know. weird. but not bad." as she says this the boy smiles, diverting his attention back to the road ahead.

"nope. not bad."

|

the pair reach niki's home. and it isn't long before the tall boy is running out of his house and towards yeonjun's car. one of his hands waves excitedly and then he salutes them. each returning the gesture as he nears. it is when the boy gets close enough that janelle notices something.

their outfits are almost identical.

a surprised gasp slips from her mouth and she is quick to unbuckle her seatbelt and climb out of the car. yeonjun just sits there in confusion, having not yet realized what she had.

niki's skips come to a halt when he sees janelle standing there. her outfit the first thing he notices.

"YO!" he yells and the girl smiles so bright her dimples jump out.

"YO!" she chirps, "MY TWIN FOR REAL."

by this point, yeonjun is also out of the car, making his way around to see what's going on clearly. and when he does his lips fall agape at the same time that his eyes narrow.

staring down his younger friends he groans, "you've got to be kidding me right now... YALL SAID CASUAL!" the boy yells in frustration.

and in unison niki and janelle retort- "THIS IS CASUAL!"

|

"so what's the plan?" jae asks looking from yeonjun to niki in the backseat. she can see the two boys make eye contact in the rear view mirror. like they've communicated something silently between them suddenly they both yell out.

"karaoke!"

the girl laughs at their excitement and nods her head. "okay i'm down."

so yeonjun takes them into the heart of the city, where shops decorate each side of the busy street's sidewalks. somehow he finds a place to park amidst the traffic and they all climb out of the car. banding together, they begin their trek down the crowded walkway.

niki pays no mind to the other boy as he places his arm over janelle's shoulder. they continue to walk like this the rest of the way, but niki has to hold back his laughter seeing yeonjun's expression. the look somewhere between disgust and irritation. what made it all so funny is that the youngest couldn't care less.

they seem to draw people's attention, all three of the teenagers notice. and each has their own feelings about it.

yeonjun is almost certain it's because the two beside him look like a couple- especially with the matching outfits. he mentally rolls his eyes.

niki too figures it's because of their outfits, but it doesn't bother him. he casts a glance down at janelle though, because despite how he may feel, he still wants to be sure the girl is comfortable.

and janelle.

well she walks, slightly confused. she is definitely aware of the stares as she passes people. she just doesn't know what's making them stare in the first place. is it her presence besides two relatively attractive guys? is it the matching outfits? or is it simply just... her?

something in her gut tells her it's all three but heavily leaning on the last. she tries to keep her chin up confidently as they walk, but the glaring eyes seem to weigh heavier and heavier on her; until eventually she just lets her head fall. her pointed gaze fixes itself to the tattered and weathered grey cement.

yeonjun steps closer to her and niki squeezes her shoulder gently, gaining the girl's attention.

his eyes ask if she's alright just as yeonjun's words do. she nods her head and puts a smile on her face.

"of course i'm good." the brunette lies. and while they don't seem to believe her entirely, they also don't push it any further. for that she's grateful; but even more so- when with a turn of her head she makes out the bright neon sign that spells out the name of the karaoke bar. "look! there it is." her voice rises in pitch- hinting at her elation.

the boys copy her smile, and they run the rest of the way eagerly.

|

janelle

we are met with blinding lights in all sorts of varying colors. they ebb in and out again at an alarming rate- like we've instead of a karaoke bar stumbled upon a raging club.

the first thing i can think to do is blink in a weak attempt of protecting my eyes against the harsh light. i turn my head, attention landing on yeonjun's face. his dark eyes sparkle beneath the lights and i wonder if it's because they merely bounce off of them.

"c'mon let's go." niki says, excitement evident in his tone of voice. he removes his arm from around my shoulder and instead takes hold of my wrist. just as he begins pulling me along, i instinctively reach out grasping yeonjun's hand too.

i glance over my shoulder and see that the boy's eyes are wide.

"you heard him- let's go." i say, not really waiting for much of a response.