Chapter 78

Alice and Flora find themselves back at their Snowbelle house, engaged in a conversation. Flora raises an eyebrow and asks, "So, Ash is currently with Rosa, helping her style Paris' Lopunny?"

Alice nods in confirmation, saying, "Yes, I was quite surprised when Rosa asked Ash for assistance in styling her famous Pokémon. I wanted to join them, but I had my hands full with my acting role as Elizabeth."

Flora leans in, her expression thoughtful. "True, although Eve mentioned she was going to work on that article. I wonder why it's taking her so long?"

Concerned, the two siblings decide to check on Eve. As they open the door to her room, they are met with a shocking sight.

"EVE!" They both cry out in alarm as they spot Eve unconscious on the floor. Alice rushes to her side, urgently asking, "Eve, what happened?"

There's no response from Eve. Alice checks for her breath, and to her growing alarm, she finds that Eve's pulse is weakening. Flora quickly declares, "I'm calling the doctor right away!"

Alice nods and begins administering CPR on Eve. After a tense period, an ambulance arrives, and they swiftly transport her to the Lumiose Grand Hospital.

After some time, Ash, Minami, Mark, Delia, Valerie, and Wulfric hurriedly arrive at the hospital. Their faces are filled with worry as they find Alice and Flora sitting in the waiting room, both with tears in their eyes.

"Alice, we're here. What's happened?" Ash inquires, concern etched across his face.

Alice, unable to hold back her emotions, suddenly throws herself into Ash's arms, her tears flowing freely. Valerie addresses Flora, her voice trembling, "Flora, please tell us what's going on. What happened to Eve?"

Flora takes a deep breath and says, "Eve suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. Thankfully, we found her in time, and Alice administered CPR. Otherwise, we might have lost precious time to save her. Right now, Eve is unconscious, and the doctors are closely monitoring her condition."

Everyone present is stunned by the news, and Alice adds, her voice quivering, "Eve is not just a family member; she's also our future Dark Type Elite Four member of the Sevestar Region. We can't afford to lose her. She has to get better."

Ash firmly agrees, stating, "Yes, she has to get better."

As the doctor arrives, Valerie and Wulfric step forward. The doctor inquires, "Are you the girl's parents?"

Valerie nods, her voice filled with anxiety. "Yes, we are. How is she right now? Please, tell us."

"The doctors are doing their best to use an AED to revive her. However, sudden cardiac death is the leading cause of natural death worldwide, responsible for half of all heart disease-related deaths," the doctor explains. "May I inquire if she had a history of smoking?"

Alice responds firmly, "No, she's never smoked. None of us do."

The doctor proceeds with his questions, asking, "What about a family history of cardiovascular disease?"

Valerie frowns, her voice carrying a hint of sorrow, "My grandfather had a history of cardiovascular disease, and it was the cause of his passing."

The doctor nods, understanding the situation. "I see. It could be one of the risk factors that contributed to your daughter's cardiac arrest. Fortunately, it wasn't as severe since your other two daughters administered CPR before bringing her to the hospital. However, we'll need to keep her here for monitoring her heartbeat."

Ash steps forward and volunteers, "I'll cover the expenses for her stay in the ward."

With that settled, they all return to Sevestar Island. Wulfric and Valerie generously offer to stay behind at the hospital to be with Eve during her recovery.