Chapter 60

For the Kalos Gym Battles, Ash's first stop is Santalune City. There, he faces Viola, who uses Masquerain and Vivillon. Ash relies on Delphox to secure victory and earn the Bug Badge.

Now, Ash, Alice, Max, and Golly find themselves in Ambrette Town as Ash prepares to participate in a contest for his third ribbon. As Ash surveys the participants, he can't help but sigh. To his surprise, he spots Max's sister, May, also competing in the same contest.

On the other side of the Contest Hall, May gulps nervously as she locks eyes with Ash. They haven't spoken since Ash's visit to Petalburg Gym, during which Ash had invited her to join the Kalos Contests as a means to seek forgiveness.

As May walks through the hallway after her performance on the contest stage, Max rushes up to her.

"May, there you are," Max says.

May looks surprised. "Max? What are you doing here?"

"I came because Ash asked me to," Max explains. "He's my teacher, and I've learned so much from him."

May nods slowly. "I understand. This contest is my chance to earn his forgiveness..."

Max's face adopts a slightly concerned expression. "It won't be easy, though. Ash has been training for this contest as well."

May's determination shines through as she replies, "Even so, I'm not preparing to lose. I'll give it my all."

Max nods and rushes off to find Ash. May gazes at the half of the ribbon she still holds and frowns, murmuring to herself, "Ash... I can't believe I've lost half of this ribbon because of Team Rocket. I'll do whatever it takes to bring the old you back."

At the same time, Alice and Golly stand by Ash's side. Golly compliments his performance, saying, "Your performance was incredible, brother. The way you had Mimikyu and Pikachu execute those moves was awesome."

"Yeah, it's a good thing that my Mimikyu is different from the one Team Rocket had," Ash acknowledges. "Otherwise, it could have ruined the entire performance. I noticed May is participating in the battle round as well."

Alice inquires, "Is this the first time you're facing each other in an official Contest like this one?"

Ash surprises them with his response. "No, I don't intend to defeat her."

Alice and Golly exchange puzzled glances. "What do you mean?" Alice asks. "Don't you want to earn your third ribbon for the Grand Festival?"

"Of course I do, but not from this contest," Ash explains. "This match is about determining if she genuinely regrets what she's done to me."

Alice recalls Ash's intentions and raises a concern. "But is that even possible? The odds of success seem quite low..."

Ash remains resolute. "It means there's only a small chance for her to earn my forgiveness."

After passing through the earlier rounds, Ash and May both find themselves in the final round, facing off against each other. Ash takes a step forward, addressing May with determination, "May, you can see that this is your one and only chance. Don't let it slip away."

May nods, though her inner anxiety still lingers. She knows she can't afford to mess things up. To her surprise, Ash selects Sceptile for this crucial battle.

"Blaziken! It's your time to shine!" May calls out as she tosses her Poké Ball, releasing her Pokémon onto the field.

The emcee's voice rings out excitedly, "Ladies and gentlemen, it seems May is gaining an advantage over Ash Ketchum! What will this match unfold?"