Chapter 41

As they enter the restaurant, Mark discreetly uses his aura to inform Ash about Serena's impending arrival. Ash quickly decides to disguise himself as Morris, while Alice, confident in her true form, is eager to talk to Serena, a former crush of Ash's. Helen, Serena's sister, sternly warns Alice that she won't tolerate any derogatory comments about Serena. Alice reassures her that she has no intention of speaking ill of her.

When Mark and Serena finally arrive, Helen is busy serving meals, and Alice is patiently seated at the table, awaiting Ash's return. Alice breaks the ice by asking, "Mark? What brings the Kalos Queen here?"

Serena explains, "I've come to apologize to Ash. Is he still around?"

"Ah, you mean Ash," Mark replies. "He's currently assisting Chef Morris in the kitchen."

Helen, while placing two glasses of water on the table, chimes in, "Hello again, Serena. It's delightful to see you visiting our place once more. But if you're looking for him, you'll have to be patient."

Alice turns her attention to Serena, her curiosity evident. "Serena, isn't it? I've heard that you've been working with my mother as a model. This is our first opportunity to have a one-on-one conversation."

Serena nods, her expression somewhat nostalgic. "That's right. The last time we met was during Lillie's challenge against Ash for the Alola Champion title. I do owe you an apology for what Bonnie said."

Alice decides to take a more confrontational approach and says, "Before I started dating Ash three years ago, he confided in me that two girls had broken his heart, which left him with darkness inside. Lillie is trying to help him heal, so I assume you're the other girl who hurt him?"

Serena, attempting to defend herself, stammers, "I never meant to hurt Ash... I..."

Alice cuts her off, her tone unyielding. "I understand that you were under Team Rocket's control, but those words still came out of your mouth, and that's what wounded Ash."

Unable to contain her emotions, Serena bursts into tears, and Mark rushes to comfort her. He finds Alice's words harsh and asks, "Alice, isn't this a bit too harsh?"

Alice remains firm, saying, "Harsh? You have no idea what Ash has been through. There have been times when we've had to prevent him from harming himself with a knife, and it's been a struggle to take it away without getting hurt ourselves. He's not the same enthusiastic boy he used to be; he's become cold and distant, and we don't know what he might do."

Helen sighs, her voice laced with sadness. "But that doesn't necessarily mean my sister is entirely to blame. If anything, Team Rocket bears a significant share of the responsibility," she says, turning to Serena. "And Serena, Alice is right; Ash has changed a lot. After being his student for 3 years, he is not acting the same Ash that you used to talk to me about."

"But..." Serena begins, her voice trailing off.

Alice interjects, gently reminding them, "I understand, Helen. But dwelling on the past won't help."

Alice then shifts her attention back to Serena. "In all fairness, I'm not the one to pass judgment here. Ash is the only one who can decide how to handle this, not me."

As Ash and Morris, his Double Team, approach, Alice lets out a resigned sigh. Morris recognizes Serena and comments, "Hey, aren't you the Kalos Queen?"

Ash, trembling slightly, locks eyes with Serena. Serena is equally surprised by the encounter. "Ash..."

Ash's voice turns cold and tinged with sadness as he asks, "What brings her here?"

Mark intervenes, saying, "She's here to apologize to you, Ash. She's well aware of the pain she caused and wants to make amends."