Chapter 18

Currently, Ash, Alice, Flora, and Helen sit on the grass, gazing at the beach and the starry skies. Ash's expression grows somber as he remarks, "It's been a year since that happened..."

Concern fills the faces of Alice, Flora, and Helen as they recognize that Ash still carries the weight of the past. Helen turns to Alice and confides, "Team Rocket may have been defeated, but Ash's sadness lingers. I'm finding it increasingly challenging to keep this a secret from my sister. Every time we meet, she bombards me with questions about Ash..."

Alice sighs and offers her perspective, "Forgiving and forgetting isn't simple, especially when millions of people worldwide once spoke ill of him. Even if they were under control, Ash can't easily forget. But dwelling in the past isn't productive for him. We need to help him rediscover his passions."

Flora nods in agreement, asking, "But how can we do that?"

As they ponder this, they notice Ash has already released Roserade and Pyroar, with Pyroar affectionately licking his trainer while Roserade gracefully dances nearby. Observing Roserade's dance, Alice gets an idea. She stands up and approaches Ash, covering his eyes playfully from behind.

"Guess who it is?" she teases.

Ash chuckles, recognizing her touch. "Alice, I know it's you. If it were Flora or Helen, you'd have already intervened to stop them." He smiles and removes her hands, turning to Helen. "No offense meant to you, it's just that Alice can be a bit jealous at times."

Alice pouts and retorts, "Is that so? Well, I'll have you know..."

Ash interrupts, "No, I mean it in a good way. Anyway, what's on your mind, Alice?"

Alice continues, "Ash, by reading your father's diary, I learned that he became a Top Coordinator on his very first attempt."

Ash's face pales slightly, knowing exactly which part of the diary Alice is referring to. With hesitation, he replies, "I did read that part... I was proud of my father's achievements as a Top Coordinator. But... it's just that... two of my former friends once told me I was terrible at Contests..."

Flora interjects, "But they said that when they were under Team Rocket's control, right? And you did participate in some Contests before."

Ash admits, "I did take part in a few, and I even earned a Half Ribbon because I tied with one of my friends. But it hurt... to see that ribbon burned to ashes..."

The revelation shocks Alice, and she expresses her disbelief, saying, "How could they do something so cruel? That's absolutely disrespectful."

Ash sighs, his expression clouded with the painful memories of that incident. "I know... It hurt to see a symbol of friendship turned to ashes just like that..."

Understanding his reluctance, Alice offers words of encouragement, "Don't let their hurtful words hold you back, Ash. You're talented and wonderful, and I'm sure you're not a failure in Contests. If they ever said otherwise, then you'll just have to prove them wrong by winning the Grand Festival." Her words carry a sense of determination and motivation, hoping to inspire him to overcome his doubts.

Ash's smile widens at Alice's words of encouragement. "You're right. I'm going to prove to them that I'm not a failure in Contests."

Alice considers the disguise options and suggests, "I'd love to see you compete as yourself in Contests, but it could be fun to have new disguises. How about we create disguises with a water theme?"

Helen, intrigued by the idea, comments, "Water Type? That's certainly unusual."

Ash agrees, saying, "Sure, let's give it a try."