Chapter 14

"So you want to acquire a cooking license to work in a restaurant?" Delia asks, showing a hint of surprise.

"Yes, Mom. I was wondering if you know any S-Class Connoisseurs who can help me out?" Ash inquires.

Delia lets out a sigh and responds, "Ash, since you're in the Kalos Region, I suggest you seek out the Water-type Elite Four member, Seibold. He'd be the perfect person to assist you."

"Seibold..." Ash mutters. "I suppose that's fine. Among the Kalos Elite Four members, he's the only one I haven't met or battled before."

After ending the call, Helen raises a concern, asking, "Are you sure you're okay with having Seibold judge your cooking?"

Alice appears puzzled and asks, "Is there something wrong with that?"

Helen explains, "He's a chef with extremely high standards. This is what he believes: cooking, like Pokémon battles, is an art that vanishes as soon as it's complete. Even the memories of victory fade quickly after the battle ends. To fully dedicate oneself to such a life, filled with fleeting experiences, is what he considers true art."

Alice nods in understanding, remarking, "He does sound like a tough critic."

Surprisingly, Helen manages to get in touch with Seibold, and he arrives at the restaurant along with an unexpected guest, Diantha, the Kalos Champion. Diantha expresses her desire to talk to Ash about something important.

Seibold warmly greets Helen, saying, "Helen, it's great to see that you've reclaimed your restaurant."

Helen responds with gratitude, bowing slightly, and says, "Thank you, Mr. Seibold. It's an honor to have the Kalos Champion here as well."

Diantha smiles and acknowledges, "Likewise, it's an honor to meet the renowned former child chef."

Helen sighs, remarking, "I'm not a child anymore."

Seibold then explains the reason for their visit, saying, "We heard that two individuals are seeking to obtain cooking licenses, and one of them is Ash Ketchum. That's why my wife is here."

Helen leads them to the kitchen, where Ash is waiting. Upon seeing Ash, Diantha is delighted to see him again, but Ash's expression remains unenthusiastic. His encounters with past champions, including Diantha, who had been manipulated by Team Rocket, left him with a lingering sense of mistrust and resentment.

"Ms. Diantha," Ash acknowledges her with a nod, and Diantha begins, "Ash, it's been a while, but..."

"Sorry, but I'd prefer to focus on obtaining our cooking licenses first," Ash responds in a somewhat cool and distant tone, causing Diantha to feel a shiver down her spine. Seibold intervenes, reminding her, "Diantha, remember we're here primarily for my role as an S-Class Connoisseur. Let me do my assessment first, and we can talk to him later."

Diantha can only nod in agreement as Ash and Alice begin preparing their dishes for Seibold. Ash prepares a Seafood Risotto, while Alice makes Egg Benedicts. Seibold tastes Ash's dish first and comments, "Your presentation is like art. It not only reflects the appearance but also conveys emotions—the emotions of sadness and hurt."

Ash is surprised that Seibold can discern the emotions behind the cooking. Seibold then turns to Ash and asks, "Could you please explain why you prepared this dish in such a way? As a Connoisseur, I'm keen to understand the reasoning behind your choice."

Ash responds, "I think the answer is quite clear. Team Rocket manipulated everyone to break me, inflict pain, and tarnish my reputation. I wanted to express my feelings about this situation through this dish."