Chapter 43

As Serena is now forgiven by Ash, she explores the newly constructed Sevestar Region. Although her role as the former Kalos Queen prevents her from becoming a Gym Leader or part of the Elite Four, she bonds well with everyone. Their conversations revolve around fashion, trends, and various subjects, leaving Serena astonished by Ash's active participation and support.

Serena spends increasingly more time with Mark, and their connection blossoms into a romantic relationship.

Meanwhile, Ash and Alice face Skyla, the Flying Leader of the Unova Region, in an exhilarating challenge. Ash is relieved to see Skyla's focus on battling prowess rather than relying solely on type matchups and aerial battles. This time, her diverse team includes Swoobat, Swanna, Sigilyph, and Skarmory.

In an electrifying showdown, Pikachu manages to overcome Swanna's formidable Counter Shield and emerges victorious against all four of Skyla's Pokémon, earning Ash the sixth badge.

With Brycen's resignation as the Gym Leader, Ash and Alice make their way to Opelucid City in pursuit of the seventh badge. Present to witness the match are Iris, the reigning Unova Champion, and Drayton, Drayden's grandson and one of Ash's friends from the Blueberry Academy. Ash doesn't mind Iris watching; after all, she should know that Drayden is no match for his team. Drayden selects Altaria, Druddigon, Flygon, and Haxorus for the battle, while Ash opts for Ninetales and Milotic.

"Milotic, use Blizzard!" Ash commands, prompting his Pokémon to release a colossal blizzard that leaves Druddigon unable to continue. Drayden has lost all his Pokémon, making Ash the winner.

"Well done, Ash. You've earned this Legend Badge," Drayden congratulates as he hands over the badge.

"Thank you, Mr. Drayden," Ash responds. Drayton chimes in, "Looks like you managed to beat the old man. Nice work, Ash."

"Thanks, Drayton," Ash replies with a smile before noticing Iris approaching. "What do you want?"

"Ash... I know I was rude to you many years ago, but I want to say you did great in this match," Iris says. "I'm looking forward to the Champion Match, and I just hope you can forgive me then."

Ash responds, "I can try, but I can't make any promises."

Iris nods and leaves the gym. Alice asks, "So, are you going to forgive her?"

"I don't know," Ash sighs. "But I can only say that time will tell."

Drayden speaks up, "Ash and Alice, would you mind accompanying me to the Dragon Village? The Elder and I have something to discuss with you."

Ash and Alice both nod, following Drayden. Upon their arrival at the Elder's Place, they take a seat, and Ash asks, "So, Elder, Drayden, what is this about?"

The Elder speaks, "We have a unique ability to judge people, thanks to our connection with the dragons. And we sensed it, you were haunted by the past, weren't you, my child?"

Ash nods and confesses, "Yes, Team Rocket really turned my life upside down back then by turning everyone against me. That's why I've been hesitant to trust and connect with many people, but I'm determined to challenge the League."

Drayden adds, "Seeing both of you reminds me of Red and Valerie. You two are so much like them..."

Curious, Alice inquires, "You knew our parents?"

"Or rather, their disguises," the Elder replies, "they were known as Shin and Pauline. They were the most formidable Dragon Duo, renowned as the Dragon Prince and the Dragon Princess. They possessed the extraordinary ability to tame the fiercest dragons in the world."