32.

"Hi Skye, still working?" Maya said as she was also walking out of the paddock. "Yes, I was" I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.
She was always bad news and I couldn't handle that, not now. Please don't fuck with me even more.
"Skye, I'm sorry for the things I did years ago. It was disgusting how I acted. I didn't understand back then, but I do now" an apology was the last thing I expected from her but she sounded genuinely.
She grabbed her phone and showed me a picture of a little baby. "My son, I can't imagine what you and Lando went through." I looked at the picture. He was so cute, I was happy for her. "I'm happy for you Maya, we definitely went through hell but we are very happy with Luna now" I smiled a little. She nodded softly and hugged me. Another thing I didn't expect from her and I also didn't expect me to hug her back. "I hope Lando and you get back together. You belong together" she said as she walked to her car. Why did everyone say that? Maybe because we actually did belong together.

———————

Max put a Red Bull in front of me as I was sitting in the hospitality. It was sunday, raceday and I guess he could see how tired I was. I didn't sleep well. I was thinking about Lando a lot, I missed him and I wanted to be with him.
I realized that now, way too late of course because our divorce papers were signed already. "Thanks I needed that" I smiled as I looked up to him. I also felt bad for him, it was my fault he lost Lando too. They used to be friends but they haven't talked to each other since their little discussion in the paddock. "I can see that" he sat down with me and looked at me.
"Why don't you just talk to him and admit how you're feeling" he asked. I just shrugged my shoulders. "Because it's too late, he will not believe me nor will he listen to me" I said which made him shook his head. "It's never too late" he said as he got up and left.
Maybe he was right, I should talk to him, I should fight for him. I was gonna talk to him after this race, I promised him to take care of Luna tonight so I had to see him anyways.

I grabbed my stuff and walked to the pitwall. I smiled at Christian and GP and put my headphones on. Max was on pole and we got a good strategy, so I was convinced we could get a good result. "You can do it Max, get this win" GP said over the radio as Max put his car in his grid spot.
The five lights went out, both Lando and Max had a great start. It was definitely gonna be a race between the two of them.

Lando and Max were fighting each other the entire first lap. They crossed the finish line again and started their second lap. It was a long straight so they both had full speed. It was obvious that Lando had way more pace because he was catching Max.
They were driving side by side and then the thing I was most afraid of happened. Their tires touched, which made Lando's car spin. He couldn't control his car anymore and he flipped over a few times before crashing into the barrier with such a high speed.
I put my hands in front of my mouth. I couldn't feel my heart beating anymore, it's like the world stopped for a second.
I could hear the medical car and ambulance rush out of the pitlane, the race got red flagged immediately. "Is Lando okay?" Max asked. We didn't know, we haven't heard anything from Mclaren and they weren't broadcasting his car anymore.
I looked at the Mclaren pitwall, they looked as worried as we did so I guess Lando wasn't fine. I've never seen such a terrible crash. There were pieces of his car all over the track and his car was just standing against the barrier. Completely destroyed.

Sophie was right, I was so stupid. I realized way too late how much I actually needed him.
He was the love of my life. I was gonna talk to him after the race, try to make things better between us, but maybe that was never gonna happen.