65.- Fish, Cover Your Eyes

Ep

Ep. 6 "Zombie Baby Daddy" Ch. 2/6

•——— ——— —•——

10K's dad would surely be proud of what Joy had found. Not only was 10K fishing pretty darn well judging by the stack of fish laying by his leg, but he was also fishing with no actual fishing rod, only some string, a floating log, and what Joy guessed was a makeshift lure made from some scrap metal.

And all that in the one thing Joy had never managed to achieve, complete and utter silence. And if she had to suffer the constant noise in her head, she'd drag 10K down with her.

Sorry, 10K.

As quietly as she could, Joy crept over the loose rocks littering the bigger rocks that 10K had perched himself upon, grabbing a loose pebble from beside her boot with a near silent scrape. She stood a few feet behind 10K, close enough to see the stream below but not close enough that he'd be alerted of her presence, or so she hoped.

Joy twisted the pebble in her hand, calculating as best she could to try to skip the rock across the stream and not hit 10K in the process before she threw it.

The good news; Joy calculated perfectly, so the pebble didn't hit 10K. The bad news; the pebble didn't exactly skip across the stream, it bounced of the edge of the rock he was perched upon and then plopped down into the stream with an unsatisfactory plunk.

"Well, that was anticlimactic." Joy saw 10K's shoulders move as he laughed quietly, her calmly reaching his side to sit next to him and watch the swaying trees in front of them.

"You're scaring the fish away." Joy shrugged.

"Cowards."

Right at that moment it truly felt like they were back pre-Z at 10K's cabin, sitting by his dock where Joy would keep asking useless questions, or sunbathe, or be forced to do her ugly homework, all while 10K caught fish after fish as if there were no tomorrow.

Except now there was possibly much less hiding from each other feelings wise, and Joy had to say she preferred the present much more than having to discreetly check out 10K and try to convince herself that such actions were totally platonic.

Joy kicked her dangling legs as 10K began pulling his string back up, and wouldn't you know it, there was a fish attached to the end of it, squirming and slapping Joy's legs with its water covered fins before 10K tossed it towards the rest of the slowly forming pile.

He cut the line off and tied the end with the fish together with the already tangled line before expertly manoeuvring a lure at the end of the freshly cut line, pushing the log further behind. It was no surprise he was that good, if Joy recalled correctly, 10K had been fishing since he was five, possibly younger or a tad older.

The point is by the time they met, 10K was nearly as good as his dad, and that was almost ten years ago.

"How deep do you think it is?" 10K shrugged before tossing the lure back into the water, holding the string patiently by his side as he waited for a fish to bite. That just had to be the worst bit of fishing in Joy's opinion, the waiting.