32. First Z Kill Of The Apocalypse

Ep

Ep. 10 "Going Nuclear" Ch. 6/6

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

Joy remembered back when 10K had to mercy his dad he went and locked himself in his mind, only moving eating and sleeping without uttering a word for days.

His dad had once told her that was the exact behavior he had displayed back when his mother had died, and that he hadn't formed a proper relationship with another human being that wasn't him until Joy came along.

But losing his father by his own hands had to be significantly harder, or maybe not, Joy didn't quite have a proper idea of what the loss of a parent was.

But what she did know was that during three days she was the only one to speak and fill her surroundings with light, even though she was grieving inside.

And just like with his mother, Joy had slowly brought him back out from drowning in his pool of self-pity and what if's.

But, could Joy bring him back a third time? Or would she lose 10K from all the losses he had had to endure?

•——— ——— —•——

"Kid?" Joy sat up from Cassandra's shoulder, looking back towards Doc who sighed and extended his arm towards her.

"C'mon, he's gonna need you." Joy grabbed onto his arm and heaved herself upwards.

"Why? What happened?"

"Homer just died in front of him." Joy sighed.

"Well, fuck." Joy didn't hesitate to run up to the hill where they had started the day at to get a better view of whenever 10K showed up.

She could only hope that he didn't go all hating on himself for not being able to save Homer.

And that's when they spotted him angrily stomping towards the gate.

Angry instead of sad this time, Joy didn't quite know whether that was a good sign or not.

"Here he comes." Joy ran down the hill as Doc opened the door for 10K and handed him his pack, but 10K only threw it away and kept stomping away.

"Hey, kid! Wait! Wait up!" Doc and Cassandra started to chase after him, but 10K kept walking faster while pressing his hands over his ears trying to block them out.

"Cassie! Doc! Wait!" Joy tried to tell them to back off, but neither were listening to her and just kept following after a severely overwhelmed 10K.

"Homer saved us!"

"That's right. He saved the whole town!"

10K suddenly stopped in his tracks to face Doc and Cassandra, while Joy was in the background still attempting to catch up to them.