55.- New Z Type Unlocked

Ep

Ep. 4 "Batch 47" Ch. 1/4

— •••• ——— ••— ——• •••• — •••

To her knowledge, Joy had never really smoked. The only reason she could recognize the smell was thanks to students at her high school getting high left and right in the bathrooms where she tried hiding to skip the more boring of classes, but aside from that, not a single gram of weed had touched her lips.

She'd stick with the occasional simple cancer inducing cigarettes, thank you very much.

•——— ——— —•——

With the help of some very unhelpful road signs and a half functional map, Warren and Vasquez switched turns driving the truck all the way to sunny Minneapolis.

And Joy could already smell the Z-weed even before they stepped inside the fenced area where Murphy was most likely hiding.

"You guys harvesters here for the cure?" A guy stationed at the entrance behind the chain-link fence asked, his automatic pointed downwards, not that he'd be much of a threat anyway.

"Yeah, that's right."

"You're armed." Just by reflex, Joy itched to reach her hatchet by her side. She had trauma from the weapons free camp, could you blame her?

"Uh...yeah."

"Good," The guy then proceeded to open the door without even asking any other questions, so they'd walk inside. They could've been criminals for all he knew, but again, at that point, everyone in the apocalypse was a criminal, so that judgment would've been bogus.

"Harvesters wait in the garage until you're called. The others inside will give you the run-down." Warren gave a salute in thanks, while, the others followed her further inside with not much of another option.

"You think Murphy's here?" Addy asked while eyeing the area. There was no alcohol, half-naked Zs or some nuclear weapons, so it wasn't Murphy's usual hangout.

"Yeah, he's here. I can smell him."

"I think you're smelling the Z-Weed." Doc added, while sniffing the air happily, it did, in fact, stink of Z-weed. That place seemed more like Doc's type of hangout than Murphy's, to be honest.

"It smells like desperation, and anywhere there's desperation, there's Murphy." Before anyone could argue with Joy's logic, which didn't need much arguing to begin with, a plethora of screams came from further inside the compound, very panicked screams at that.

"Help me! Get it off! Somebody, get it off! Somebody help! Somebody help me! Somebody, get it... Help!"

The group rounded the corner and Joy's mouth immediately fell open at what they found. Seeing a live woman with no bite marks was already rare enough, but at her legs was what looked to be a Z covered in vines and plant-like patterns along its arms and face, and a Z being a Z, it wanted a bite of the woman.