23. Water...Water...Wa-What Was This Chapter About?

Ep

Ep. 8 "Zunami" Ch. 1/4

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

Joy remembered her science teacher hating her. She never paid attention, always bothered 10K to the point where he didn't pay attention either, and always made fun of his every lesson.

That teacher sent her to detention one too many times. Not that she cared, after all she had nothing better to do after school, and she just spent the entire period drawing terrible cartoons of that teacher and would hand them in after each detention finished only to earn another detention.

Eventually, the teacher just gave up with Joy and completely blocked her out of his mind.

Joy pictured him laughing over his precious water molecule drawings...

Water...

Sweet sweet water...

What was she thinking about again?

•——— ——— —•——

"I read once that you could drink your own urine, but all I'm pissin' is dust."

Right, they had all run out of water three days ago, or a week, it felt more like a year, to be honest. They didn't even manage to make it past Nebraska with them being so low of fluids.

Forget leaving Nebraska, Joy didn't even make it to the sidewalk.

She was sprawled out in the middle of the street, her arms spread out wide. And for the first time in the apocalypse (aside from Cannibal Camp (patent pending)) she had taken off her sweater, leaving her in just her sports bra. And even then, she felt hot.

Everything felt hot.

Maybe if she cut herself open, her body would cool down.

Bad idea, she'd bleed out.

But blood was just about all water, right? Perhaps she should become a vampire and drink her own blood, or maybe 10K's.

No, that'd hurt him and she'd feel bad. She'd drink Murphy's blood, but she was scared that it was already too contaminated. Like sewer water.

Oh sweet water, what Joy wouldn't do for you in that moment.

"Water isn't gonna find you just sittin' there." Oh right, Murphy somehow was the only one that was still walking around happily as if nothing were wrong.

Maybe it was because he was already half dead.

Or he drank their water without consulting them, again.

Both were very plausible options.

"Why are you so freaking chipper?"

"Been wondering that myself, maybe it's because I conserve my precious bodily fluids." Joy didn't even have the energy to sass something back at Murphy.