25. Private Mid-Panic Attack Confessions

Ep

Ep. 8 "Zunami" Ch.  3/4

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

10K had learned about Joy's claustrophobia by complete accident and thanks to a stupid prank. Which, for the record, was not orchestrated by him.

Some senior kids had taken it upon themselves to play with the others and lock them in the janitor's closet until the janitor came to free them. It was positively stupid, but apparently they found that entertaining.

10K hadn't thought much of it until he had gone to meet Joy at her class, only for the teacher to say she had already left five minutes prior with the same prankster teens.

10K had immediately ran all the way to the janitors closet to see the same troupe laughing outside the door, while he could hear someone sobbing and screaming for help inside. And even with all the voice cracks, 10K knew exactly who it was.

He didn't hesitate to run for the janitor, who gladly accompanied him to catch the culprits for locking people inside his closet.

As soon as he unlocked the door, 10K ran to Joy's side only for her to push him away and between harsh breaths explain how she couldn't breathe.

Everyone in the vicinity panicked as the janitor sent one of the pranksters to go get the nurse, while 10K was forced to stand back and watch how his best friend suffered on her own curled up into a ball next to mops and broom.

That day had Joy not only explained how he could help her if it ever happened again, but it was also when 10K got his first detention for fighting after he punched the leader of the pranksters and busted his lip.

It had been worth it, though, and 10K would do it over a thousand times over.

•———— ————— —•—

"Joy?" Joy's breathing had calmed significantly, but it was still too quick for it to be considered a normal rhythm.

She had also taken it upon herself to curl into 10K, which he didn't mind at all, as that meant that he didn't have to pretty much glue himself to the wall for Joy to be comfy.

"Are you feeling better?" Joy nodded, although 10K could still feel her rapid heartbeat beating against his chest.

"How can I help you?"

Joy cleared her throat three times before she could even croak out the words. "Talk...keep..."

Of course, the thing that would help Joy would be the one thing 10K sucked at. But he'd do it for Joy.

He'd dance like a monkey in front of a crowd if she needed it. Heck, he'd even give up all his weapons if it'd help Joy.

"Alright... Remember that one time my Pa took us out fishing for your birthday? You were so frustrated that we kept pulling fish after fish and all you seemed to catch were weeds." 10 chuckled at the memory. "You looked adorable being all angry."