Forty-Eight

Steve rushed into the cell area, and hit the controls for Buckys... 'We need to go, now..'.. He tells him in a panic, and Sam rushed in behind him.

'Man, we only got 3 minutes, if that. Nat is keeping them busy, but she won't be able to stop Tony and Wanda for long..'.. Sam finishes up strapping his wing patch to him, looking across at Steve, and then to Bucky... 'You have no idea the shit we'll get for this, but you better move your ass Barnes..'

'Oh, do tell..'.. Loki chuckles from his cell.

'Wanda and Tony are angry, and want to kill Bucky for what he's done to Liv. Thor will be taking you back to Asgard at some point, but it was him that killed her..'.. Steve gestures to Bucky as he walks out... 'Look, controlled or not, you're my best friend Buck, I can't let them kill you. We got to go..'.. He grips Buckys arms, and pulls him along, and they head out of the holding area.

'No weapons?..'.. Steve looks over at Bucky smirking, and he shakes his head.

'I don't even have my shield, we have to go, now. Sam will be our cover, but me and you are disappearing..'.. Steve checks down the hallways, then looks over to Sam... 'She disabled them, right?..'

'Seeing as we have no followers right now, I'm guessing so. Come on man, we got t-..'.. His words were cut off, as Bucky kicked him hard in the back, sending him flying forward, face down on the floor. Steve spun, seeing Bucky swing for him and he ducked.

'Buck, I know you're in there..'.. He blocked the hits... 'I can't let you die, we have to go. Please listen..'.. Steve knew he had to keep it up for a few seconds more. Bucky was distracted, so he didn't see someone slip up behind him.

Liv made sure not to touch him, but put her hands either side of his head, and hit him with her power, to get into his mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------

She wandered through his mind, ignoring the memories, going straight to the center. She could hear him screaming in pain,and she had to keep control. She couldn't let her powers take over, as she could cause damage inside his mind.

Making it to the center, she saw Bucky strapped in the chair, that Hydra used to wipe his mind, but it was the Other that was there, hurting him... 'Hey asshole!..'.. She called out, and the creature spun to her. She threw her hand out, binding him with her power, and then came round to Buckys side, touching his face... 'Im here buttercup, I'm here. Come back to me, focus on me..'.. She spoke softly, watching his face.

'This isn't real. I need you to focus on me alright? Listen to my voice...'.. She smoothed his hair from his forehead, placing a kiss on it... 'I love you buttercup, please come back to me..'

'Liv?..'.. His voice was hoarse from the screaming, but his eyes began to focus on her.

'Hi honey, welcome back..'.. She kissed his lips softly, and then stepped back to undo the straps on him... 'Im here, I am real I promise. We can get you free, but you have to kill him..'.. She nodded her head to the right, and he followed her motion, and saw the creature struggle against glowing rope.

'Liv, what happened? I-I don't remember much..'.. He sat up, feeling weak, and she helped him to stand up.

'I'll explain everything later, right now, you need to kill him. As long as he's alive in your mind, he has control..'.. She conjured a gun, and held it out to him... 'I promise you'll wake up after this..'

'You're real?..'.. She nodded at him, and he took the gun, his hands shaking from the nightmare he was in. He took aim at the creature, hesitating... 'How do I know this isn't another trick? I killed you, didn't I?..'

'No, YOU didn't, he did..'.. She gestured to the Other who was fighting as hard as he could from her binds... 'But I'm here Buck, I got us back home. Please, just come back to me..'

He sighed, but took aim again, and shot the creature in the head. The body dropped to the floor, and then disappeared like smoke in the wind. The room began to brighten, and Liv felt Bucky sag in her arms. She helped him to sit on the floor, and she moved in front of him, culling his face.

'Im so proud of you. You're free now buttercup..'.. She kissed him hard and passionately, before pulling back... 'Its time to wake up..'.. She smiled at him, and then disappeared. His eyes felt heavy, and he fell to the side.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Liv stepped back, feeling exhausted, and moved to lean against the wall, as she saw Steve catch Bucky, before he hit the floor... 'Give him a minute, he did it. He's free..'.. She saw the relief in Steve's face, as he held Bucky up. After a moment, he stirred and looked up, seeing her and then Steve holding him.

'Uh, what happened? How are we back at the compound?..'.. He frowned, looking back at Liv... 'You look different..'.. She chuckled, and stood up straight, as Steve cautiously let him go.

'Whats the last thing you remember?..'.. She asked, coming over to him.

'We hit the base in south London, and then we celebrated afterwards, that's it..'.. He rubbed a hand over his face... 'Im getting these flashes in my head, but it's all jumbled..'

'Buck, it's been 5 months since then, and a lot has happened, which me and you will talk about, privately. But long story short, we were controlled by the same being that had hold of Loki back in 2012. I got free, and then helped to free you. We'll help Loki later..'.. She told him, her eyes darting to Steve and back.

Bucky didn't miss that look, and he turned to Steve, then to her... 'What happened? What aren't you telling me?..'

Liv sighed... 'I got free, by dying. I died Buck, but I'm here now, I'm ok..'.. She took his hands in hers, as Steve helped Sam up.

'I thought you couldn't die. That's what Loki said...'.. His eyes searched hers, feeling as though he should know something.

'Thats part of the conversation we'll have after. For now, me and you are free. There's a lot more going on, but come on..'.. She led him and the other two down the hallway, heading to the others.

Bucky desperately tried to remember, there was so many flashing going off in his mind, he didn't know what was real, and what wasn't. One image hit him and he stopped, looking around... 'Liv, did I hurt you? It's just..'.. He shook his head... 'I don't know if this is real or not, but I got this thing in my head. Loki was stabbing you over and over, and I was shooting you. You were chained from the ceiling of a dark room..'

Liv took a deep breath, not wanting to admit that was real..that was the first time she had gotten drunk under the control and tried to use her power on the two of them, in a bid to free them... 'Lets go talk to the others ok?..'

Steve and Sam glanced at each other, hearing what was just said. The fact that she didn't say if it was true or not, had them both believing it did happen. Steve felt sick, at the thought. He adored Liv, and knew that the other two would never want to harm her.

😘