"Jeez! Keep it down", I muttered in a sharp whisper.

"Sorry", she said, glancing around, and then handed me a dress. It was a black and baby-pink reverse big frill body con dress. It looked like a cross between a negligee and a party dress. I was a bit skeptical, but I went into the back to put it on. And I had to say, I was impressed with Rosie's taste.

The figure hugging body con was subtly sexy, with an exposed zip down the front and gorgeous frill detailing. Combined with an exposed back and cross-over straps, it was stunning!  

"So? What do you think?" Rosie asked, through the changing room door.

I stepped out and moved to the larger mirror. “I love it”, I answered, twirling around, slightly.

She squealed again. “Me too! Flirty and feminine!”

I grinned and admired the intricacy at the back. “It’s perfect.”

“I know! Now, shoes!” she said, clapping her hands together.

“That’s okay, Rosie. I have lots of shoe choices”, I said.

She looked a bit disappointed. “I saw a Lulu’s on the way up”, she said piteously.

“Um . . . okay. One pair”, I said, reluctantly.

She squealed again, and I went off to pay. I didn’t want to indulge her need for shopping, but it was most likely never going to happen again, so it didn’t really matter.

“So, Lulu’s”, she said, as we walked out of the store.

“Yeah”, I said, with a sigh.

“What’s this for, anyway?” she asked, referring to my acquisition.

“Um . . . I have a . . . a work thing”, I lied.

She eyed me curiously. “Do you . . do you have a date?” she asked,

I felt my face heat up. Why was I cursed with an obvious display of a lie or embarrassment?

“No!” I said, as we headed down the escalators.

“You have a date? Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked.

I shrugged. “Because I don’t. I told you, it’s an event.”

“Deana, I know when you’re lying. You’re my sister, remember?”

“Rosie, I’m not lying”, I lied, again.

“It’s cause of Matt, right? That’s why you didn’t tell me?”

“Matt who?” I asked, knowing full well that she was talking about Matt, my ex.

“Deana, seriously. He’s like the huge rhinoceros in the room”, she said, as we walked past Aldo. I was tempted to go in, so that we could get the whole shopping thing out of the way. It was becoming more of a chore, with every step.

“I think you mean elephant”, I said.

“Whatever. My point is, we should talk about it. That way, you’ll start to trust me again”, she said, stopping abruptly.

I sighed. Why did everyone keep trying to get me to open up?

I turned to face her. “Rosie, one, I’ve never trusted you. You burnt down my apartment, for crying out loud. And, two, you know I’m not a feelings person; I don’t want to hear or talkabout Matt. Can we please just get me shoes?” I asked, pleadingly.

She looked hurt for a second, and then, she nodded. “Fine.”

We headed off to Lulu's in silence, and I grabbed the first pair of pink platforms I found. The awkwardness was smothering.